Error: Unable to access jarfile /usr/lib/jenkins-plugin-manager.jar

Hi, i just cloned the jenkins project and executed the command docker-compose up according to the following page:

labs/ch09-cicd.adoc at master · docker/labs (github.com)

Here below is what i get:

So the jar file is absent in the jenkins project? may you advise on how could i proceed? thx

The git repo is outdated. I don’t know how could someone mentioned by Docker use the “lts” version tag. It is not much better than using “latest”, These tags can change any time. You can see that the latest change in the Dockerfile in the repository you cloned is

Since then the command in the new lts changed again. You could change the command to /opt/jenkins-plugin-manager.jar but I am not sure this was the only change. You could also change the base image in the Dockerfile after FROM, but then you have to find which lts was the latest lts at the time that Dockerfile was last changed.

so you checked the image “Its” to confirm that the command should be changed to “/opt/jenkins-plugin-manager.jar”? may i know how to check the composition of image? where is the image located? thx

I just used the find command in the container to search for the file:

docker run --rm -it --user root jenkins/jenkins:lts find / -name jenkins-plugin-manager.jar

It worked only because the file name haven’t changed.

Akos is absolutly right about the lts tag. Jenkins is know to introduce breaking changes from time to time, so you realy want to use a tag like 2.319.2-lts-jdk11. Otherwise you will end up eventually troubleshooting why your jenkins is not starting anymore. Trust me, you want to be in controll when you update to a newer Jenkins version.

thx meyay and Akos.

i am trying to complete this part:
labs/ch09-cicd.adoc at master · docker/labs (github.com)

but when i try to build the project the following error message prompted out.

• cd sample
  • sudo /var/jenkins_home/tools/hudson.tasks.Maven_MavenInstallation/maven/bin/mvn clean install -Papp-docker-image
    /tmp/jenkins13250427839830822204.sh: 5: sudo: not found

After removing the sudo mentioned in the script above and then build again the following error message prompted out:

• cd sample
  • /var/jenkins_home/tools/hudson.tasks.Maven_MavenInstallation/maven/bin/mvn clean install -Papp-docker-image
    /var/jenkins_home/tools/hudson.tasks.Maven_MavenInstallation/maven/bin/mvn: 1: uname: not found
    Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
    We cannot execute C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17/bin/java
    Build step ‘Execute shell’ marked build as failure

and when i execute the command docker run --rm -it --user root jenkins/jenkins:lts ls /var/jenkins_home, the following are the result:
copy_reference_file.log tini_pub.gpg

but there should be a tools folder in /var/jenkins_home/ in the build script.

so there is problem in the Jenkins image right? thx

Let’s make something clear. You have a Windows host but you follow a tutorial written for Linux hosts. I suggest you to install a Docker on Linux if you want to continue with these tutorials, otherwise you have to learn enough to be able to tell the differences and run it on Linux. By that time you probably won’t need the tutorial so I think the best way is to use a Linux host.

Sorry, but right now I don’t have time for a more detailed explaination

ok, thx Akos, i will install Linux