External access to docker containers

I have 4 applications setup in docker containers. I have published their ports and the applications are accessible from within my network. However, if I try to get to them from outside my network they won’t work. For example. If one of my containers has an internal port of 8000, and I publish it so that external host port 7000 maps to the internal container port of 8000 and the host has an IP of 192.168.1.100, I can navigate to 192.168.0.1.100:7000 and it will pull up the website just fine. I have a firewall setup and that firewall is configured to have my public IP, port forward port 8282 to port 192.168.1.100:7000. If my public IP is 24.220.10.134, I am not able to go to 24.220.10.134:8282 and successfully get to the web server. I have other non-container devices that have no problem with the exact same port forwarding rules, so I do not believe it is a firewall issue, unless it is something specific to the docker networking. Is there anything I need to do specifically to be able to access a container through a firewall like this? I have checked my host’s firewall and there shouldn’t be anything blocking it. If there is any additional information needed to assist in resolving this, please let me know.

Thanks!

–Silverbullet

Is anyone able to assist?

Assuming your container is running in a bridged network and you mapped a container port to a host port, that host port is not any different than a port bound to an application on the host.

If you are able to access your container thru accessing host-ip:port in your local LAN, a portforwarding rule will result in the very same for WAN accesses. Docker is not your problem :wink: