Failed to create shim: OCI runtime create failed

And I thought I hated linux before… hah

I’m trying to get Netbox working on a Windows machine. I believe I’m using WSL and have Ubuntu 20.04 installed correctly. I thought I had Docker installed correctly but I cannot do that hello-world test. Below is the error I’m receiving. Has anyone seen this themselves?

test@AFTST01:~$ sudo docker run hello-world
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:722: waiting for init preliminary setup caused: EOF: unknown.
ERRO[0003] error waiting for container: context canceled
test@AFTST01:~$

same here, havent been able to fix this till now

Don’t forget to upgrade your WSL distribution to version 2. I guess you still use version 1 which doesn’t support Docker. Run

wsl --list --verbose

to show the version numbers.

1 Like

Hello, I am facing the same error. I am running wsl version 2 as suggested and i am also able to run the “hello world” program but when i try to run docker run --gpus all -it --shm-size=1g --ulimit memlock=-1 --ulimit stack=67108864 nvcr.io/nvidia/tensorflow:20.03-tf2-py3 i get the same error as pointed above, any help would be highly appreciated
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:545: container init caused: Running hook #0:: error running hook: signal: segmentation fault, stdout: , stderr:: unknown. ERRO[0000] error waiting for container: context canceled

No, this is not the same. Never just read the beginning of the error message. Read the whole message or you will be misled. You also wrote that you were able to run the hello world container so it is a completely different error probably because you want to use the GPU.

This is almost the same error as yours: docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:545: container init caused: Running hook #1:: error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: nvml error: driver not loaded: unknown. ERRO[0001] error waiting for container: context canceled · Issue #1602 · NVIDIA/nvidia-docker · GitHub
Even though the message is not entirely the same, at least both of the line numbers are the same and confirms my suspicion about the GPU.

1 Like