Failure in "make shell" to build development container

Docker for Mac: Version 1.12.1-beta25 (build: 11807)
I’m following the steps in “Work with a development container”. Previous steps in “Get the Required Software” and “Configure git for contributing” all work without error. After ensuring I have a removed all images and containers, I attempt a “make shell”.

I had occasional errors in the stage where the are many “gets” (often consistently on Get 205) which I put down to network problems. After each fail I would consistently remove all images and containers to start cleanly. When I get through all the software download, I hit a consistent failure:

Step 16 : ENV GO_VERSION 1.7
—> Running in 232e628c18cb
—> 2182be9337f8
Removing intermediate container 232e628c18cb
Step 17 : RUN curl -fsSL “https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go${GO_VERSION}.linux-amd64.tar.gz” | tar -xzC /usr/local
—> Running in 56f0996f9f1f
curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: certificate is not yet valid
More details here: curl - SSL CA Certificates

curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a “bundle”
of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
bundle file isn’t adequate, you can specify an alternate file
using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
not match the domain name in the URL).
If you’d like to turn off curl’s verification of the certificate, use
the -k (or --insecure) option.

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
The command ‘/bin/sh -c curl -fsSL “https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go${GO_VERSION}.linux-amd64.tar.gz” | tar -xzC /usr/local’ returned a non-zero code: 2
make: *** [build] Error 2

I can’t find reference to the problem on stackoverflow, the forums, github issues for Docker for Mac, or in the docs. Is this a known problem with Docker for Mac? Obvious newbie solution? TIA

If the certificate is claimed to not be valid, could the current date be wrong inside the container?

Does docker run --rm centos:7 date give a proper response (ignoring any timezone differencs) ?

The date appears to definitely be out by a number of days in the container.

$ docker run --rm centos:7 date
Unable to find image ‘centos:7’ locally
7: Pulling from library/centos
8d30e94188e7: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:2ae0d2c881c7123870114fb9cc7afabd1e31f9888dac8286884f6cf59373ed9b
Fri Sep 9 18:57:02 UTC 2016
Stephens-MacBook-Pro:docker-fork stephenwalli$ date
Sun Sep 18 20:58:14 PDT 2016
$

So is this something I need to tune in Docker for Mac somehow?
It seems strange I’m hitting it from a supplied Docker community intro Makefile. I can’t be the only person that’s hit this problem. (Of course I have a history of finding interesting edge bugs over the decades.)
Thanks for the pointer to the problem.

I was trying to simply come up to speed following along in the tutorials. Where would you recommend I start if I wanted to get to the point of being Docker knowledgeable enough at a source level to contribute simple bug fixes? I’d appreciate any pointers.

Build is happily ticking along now. Thanks for the help and pointers. Much appreciated.
Continued reading. Discovered this article on time problems on Docker for Mac. Resolved that particular build problem with the following (n.b. back ticks):

$ docker run --rm --privileged centos:7 date -s "`date`"

Thanks again.