Getting "operation not supported", when starting conatiner on AUFS inside NFS

Hello everyone,

I am using Ubuntu 15.04 with Docker and I try to store all generated docker files on a NFS share.
So I started the docker daemon like this (as root):

docker daemon -p <NFS mount>/.docker.pid -H unix://<NFS mount>/.docker.sock -g <NFS mount>/.dockerfiles

Then I set the DOCKER_HOST variable accordingly and everything seemed to work fine. I was able to run the “hello world” container without any problems.
But when I try to run something more advanced like a postgres container

docker run --name some-postgres -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mysecretpassword -d postgres

this happens:

Error response from daemon: Cannot start container af37edab33a294fff8df199bdd5e9588d880db76a098f57cbcd8a20ae370b10f: [8] System error: mkdir <NFS mount>/.dockerfiles/aufs/mnt/af37edab33a294fff8df199bdd5e9588d880db76a098f57cbcd8a20ae370b10f/var/lib/postgresql/data: operation not supported

Docker seems to have problems with creating a volume on the NFS share.

The funny thing is, that when I run the docker daemon with devicemapper as storage driver (by adding -s devicemapper as parameter when starting the daemon) this error does not occur. Since devicemapper seems to be considerably slower than AUFS, I would prefer finding a solution for the AUFS problem. The problem also does not occur, when leaving the graph directory on the local filesystem (e.g. /var/lib/docker).

Is this a known problem or can I fix this somehow?

Edit: Here is also my docker info:

Containers: 68
Storage Driver: aufs
Root Dir: <NFS mount//.dockerfiles/aufs
Backing Filesystem: nfs
Dirs: 263
Dirperm1 Supported: true
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Logging Driver: json-file
Kernel Version: 3.19.0-30-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu 15.04
CPUs: 4