Having trouble with ENTRYPOINT and CMD

I’m having trouble getting a very simple image to run. It’s a Twisted server. Here’s the Dockerfile:

FROM python:2.7
RUN pip install --upgrade pip
RUN easy_install pyapns
RUN pip install service_identity
RUN pip install python-epoll
EXPOSE 7077
CMD ["twistd", "-r", "epoll", "web", "--class=pyapns.server.APNSServer", "--port=7077"] 
ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/sh", "-c"]

When I run it, the output is the twisted usage info, as if I had not specified the class to run, etc.

If I comment out the CMD statement and set the ENTRYPOINT to bash, if I enter the following line, it runs fine. (Note: I added the -n option simply so I can see the output. I’ve tried the above with it and it doesn’t change anything)

twistd -n -r epoll --class=pyapns.server.APNSServer --port=7077

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

There’s a good table in the Dockerfile reference that shows how CMD and ENTRYPOINT are combined:

You can also use docker inspect [OPTIONS] CONTAINER|IMAGE to check what is the command that will be executed by your container (in Config.Cmd).

HTH,
Alexandre

Thank you! That helped me fix my issue.

The solution was to simply remove the ENTRYPOINT instruction. I had thought that ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/sh", "-c"] was equivalent to the default, but I guess not.

I had specified that because I had noticed that when doing docker run -i -t python:2.7, I started in a python interpreter, so so I thought (mistakenly) that I needed to override ENTRYPOINT. I hadn’t looked at the Dockerfile for that image, and had I done so I would have seen that python2 was the CMD.

Thanks again!

Mark