Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Help needed setting up Samba (dperson)

I’m quite new to docker, I have at the moment Pi-Hole, Home Assistant and Portainer each in their own container on a NUC with Ubuntu. I use docker-compose to configure them, each has its own docker-compose.yml file in a separate directory.

I am now setting up dperson/samba using the sample docker-compose.yml at samba/docker-compose.yml at master · dperson/samba · GitHub.

I have created a “docker” directory i my home folder on the NUC, and want to expose it with Samba so I can easily work on it from my iMac.

So my docker-compose.yml file looks like this:

version: '3.4'

services:
  samba:
    container_name: samba
    image: dperson/samba:latest
    environment:
      TZ: 'Europe/Brussels'
    networks:
    ports:
      - "137:137/udp"
      - "138:138/udp"
      - "139:139/tcp"
      - "445:445/tcp"
    read_only: true
    tmpfs:
      - /tmp
    restart: unless-stopped
    stdin_open: true
    tty: true
    volumes:
      - $HOME/docker:$HOME/docker:z
    command: '-s "Docker;$HOME/docker;yes;no;no;jdoe;none;jdoe" -n -p'

networks:
  default:

When starting the container with docker-compose up, I get the following:

jdoe@NUC:~/docker/samba$ docker-compose up
Starting samba ... done
Attaching to samba
samba    | [2021/07/20 11:22:59.203675,  0] ../../lib/util/become_daemon.c:135(daemon_ready)
samba    |   daemon_ready: daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
samba    | smbd version 4.12.2 started.
samba    | Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2020
samba    | daemon_ready: daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
samba    | [2021/07/20 11:23:22.248094,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
samba    |   *****
samba    |   
samba    |   Samba name server 4BAF70B93C2B is now a local master browser for workgroup MYGROUP on subnet 172.21.0.2
samba    |   
samba    |   *****

But I can’t see the “Docker” share on the network… Also the log says “… on subnet 172.21.0.2”. This seems odd to me.

What am I missing here? Thnx in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Good evening,

tl;dr; I guess you are missing the user-definition using the parameter -u …

You have mentioned the docker-compose.yml at the project’s github-location.
Let’s analyze the following excerpt from this file (where I have modified the directories for clarification purpose [which directory is the host’s directory and what is the container’s directory] - you will see later :slight_smile: )

volumes:
      - /mnth:/mntd:z
      - /mnth2:/mntd2:z
    command: '-s "Mount;/mntd" -s "Bobs Volume;/mntd2;yes;no;no;bob" -u "bob;bobspasswd" -p'

The first three lines will mount the hosts directory /mnth to the docker-container’s directory /mntd and the hosts directory /mnth2 to the docker-container’s directory /mntd2.
Instead of the absolute specification for your hosts directories you can also use your $HOME-variable as in this example:

volumes:
      - "$HOME/Docker Essentials/62_samba/mnth:/mntd:z"
      - "$HOME/Docker Essentials/62_samba/mnth2:/mntd2:z"

IMHO it doesn’t make sense to use $HOME for the destination-directories within the container - better use absolute values.

The z option tells Docker that the volume content will be shared between containers. (See what is 'z' flag in docker container's volumes-from option? - Stack Overflow)

If you start the container you will have mounted two directories from your docker-host to the container’s directories /mntd and /mntd2.

With the command-line you tell the samba-daemon what to do = which directory should be served and should be accessible by which user. Oh, and which user should have which password :slight_smile:

The -s “Mount;/mntd” from the above example configures samba to serve the container’s directory /mntd (which is you hosts directory /mnth) as share named Mount available to all clients without user-authentication.
The -s “Bobs Volume;/mntd2;yes;no;no;bob” configures samba to serve the container’s directories /mntd2 (which is you hosts directory /mnth2) as share named Bobs Volume available only to user “bob” - it should be browsable, not readonly (= should be writeable), not available to guests (= includes unauthenticated users).
The parameter -p configures samba to set ownership and permissions on the shares.

For detailed explanation of all available parameters see GitHub - dperson/samba: Samba docker container

Within your docker-compose.yml I would remove the ;none;jdoe as it is not needed (because none is the default value and this jdoe is not needed as it is not a readonly-volume).
But what I am really missing is the definition of your user jdoe - with -u “jdoe;jdoespassword”. The volume should only be accessible/visible to the user jdoe but you can not authenticate as this user it will remain hidden/invisible/inacessible.
If I now enter \\192.168.0.235 (my docker-host’s ip-address) I am asked for username and password and after entering the correct values bob and bobspasswd I can see both shares.

Hope this helps… :slight_smile:

1 Like