How do I create image using dockerfile which requires reboot?

I’m confused about using dockerfile for situation where certain RUN actions require reboot of OS to complete. Example is below is trying to uninstall Windows-Defender-Features which never works as a result of it.

Docker file

from microsoft/iis
SHELL ["powershell", "-Command", "$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'; $ProgressPreference = 'Continue'; $verbosePreference='Continue';"]
RUN Remove-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender-Features -Confirm:$false

Result

PS C:\gd\test> docker exec a0 powershell -c get-windowsfeature windows-defender-features

Display Name                                            Name
------------                                            ----
[X] Windows Defender Features                           Windows-Defender-Fea...

Why do you need to remove windows-defender features from the container image?

I don’t need it to be running since we are running our inhouse AV on host or may be our company want to use different AV product. Also I don’t think it’s really important which specific feature requires reboot since question how to do this in general is important to know

Pretty easy:
inside dockerfile use

RUN powershell -Command “Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender-Features -Restart:$true”

When you’ll run a new container it will act as a restart so the feature will be marked as removed.

@alefesta Did you verify that it works? I assume since during docker build container is not restarted that feature will still be available.

Yes when you create the first container the feature show as correctly uninstalled.
I did not yet tested if the same behavior occupare using the original command in the thread.
I assume that since the command is marked as removed in the build when you start the container for the first time it will interpreted as a restart.

This worked. Concern is that system seems to be left in “PendingReboot” state. “Get-WindowsFeature” returns some errors. Windows Defender service is still present but in stopped “State”. I really hope docker and Microsoft will have some discussion how to handle situations like this where reboot is required as part of dockerfile build.

When I came across this I had to stop and restart the container to reolve the reboot state. I’m still not sure how to do this a better way.

Use a multi-stage build

How do I do that? System upon boot thinks of itself as “pending reboot” and this condition persists accross reboots since it’s never actually completes tasks Windows planned to perform upon reboot.

My colleague says this problem was even mentioned at Dockercon2017.

Do add insult to injury Defender actually takes 370 MB of drive space.

PS C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender> C:\Chocolatey\bin\du64.bat -l 2

DU v1.6 - Directory disk usage reporter
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Clean Store
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Backup
     125,924  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Default
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\NisBackup
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Updates
     125,924  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Features
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\LocalCopy
           1  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Network Inspection System\Support
           1  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Network Inspection System
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Quarantine
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\CleanFileTelemetry
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\CleanStore
           1  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MetaStore
           0  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\RtSigs
     234,487  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans
          44  C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Support
Files:        48
Directories:  46
Size:         369,107,944 bytes
Size on disk: 380,928 bytes