How to add requirement.txt

I have a large dependency(almost 250+) in my requirements.txt. How can I add those dependency in my docker image. I am added the requirements.txt. in dockerfile using “RUN pip3 install -r requirements.txt”. While building the image it always got stuck at requirements.txt step.

Hello,
without an error-message is is really hard to find out the reason for not processing the mentioned step.
I guess that processing your requirements.txt might need some dev-packages to be installed which are not there in your base-image and therefore need to be installed before processing the requirements.txt.

Hey @matthiasradde,
Here is how my Df looks like

FROM nvcr.io/nvidia/l4t-base:r32.2.1
ARG DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
WORKDIR /app
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends build-essential curl libfreetype6-dev libhdf5-dev libpng-dev libzmq3-dev pkg-config python3-dev python3-numpy python3-scipy python3-sklearn python3-matplotlib python3-pandas rsync unzip zlib1g-dev zip libjpeg8-dev hdf5-tools libhdf5-serial-dev python3-pip python3-setuptools
RUN apt-get install software-properties-common -y
RUN add-apt-repository ppa:deadsnakes/ppa && apt update
RUN apt-get update && apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install \
    sudo \
    vim \
    wget \
    build-essential \
    pkg-config \
    python3.8 \
    python3.8-dev \
    python3.8-venv \
    python-dev \
    python3-dev
#RUN update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python3 python3 /usr/bin/python3.8 0
#RUN apt-get purge python3-pip -y && apt-get update && apt-get -y install python3-pip -y && apt-get install --reinstall python3-distutils -y && pip3 install --upgrade pip
RUN apt-get update && apt install --reinstall python3-apt -y
RUN pip3 install --upgrade pip
RUN apt-get update && apt -y --no-install-recommends install \
    git \
    cmake \
    autoconf \
    automake \
    libtool \
    gstreamer-1.0 \
    gstreamer1.0-dev \
    libgstreamer1.0-0 \
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-base \
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-good \
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad \
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly \
    gstreamer1.0-libav \
    gstreamer1.0-doc \
    gstreamer1.0-tools \
    gstreamer1.0-x \
    gstreamer1.0-alsa \
    gstreamer1.0-gl \
    gstreamer1.0-gtk3 \
    gstreamer1.0-qt5 \
    gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio \
    python-gst-1.0 \
    libgirepository1.0-dev \
    libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev \
    libcairo2-dev \
    gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 \
    python3-gi \
    python-gi-dev \
    python3-setuptools \
    ffmpeg
RUN apt-get clean && \
        rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
RUN pip3 install -U pip -v
RUN pip3 --no-cache-dir install -U -v jupyter grpcio absl-py py-cpuinfo psutil portpicker six mock requests gast h5py astor termcolor protobuf keras keras-applications keras-preprocessing wrapt google-pasta

RUN curl -L https://nvidia.box.com/shared/static/phqe92v26cbhqjohwtvxorrwnmrnfx1o.whl > /tmp/torch-1.3.0-cp36-cp36m-linux_aarch64.whl && pip3 --no-cache-dir -v install /tmp/torch-1.3.0-cp36-cp36m-linux_aarch64.whl && rm  /tmp/torch-1.3.0-cp36-cp36m-linux_aarch64.whl
RUN apt-get update && apt install build-essential autoconf libtool pkg-config python-opengl python-pil python-pyrex python-pyside.qtopengl idle-python2.7 qt4-dev-tools qt4-designer libqtgui4 libqtcore4 libqt4-xml libqt4-test libqt4-script libqt4-network libqt4-dbus python-qt4 python-qt4-gl libgle3 python-dev libssl-dev -y
RUN apt install libjpeg-dev zlib1g-dev -y
RUN apt-get update && apt install build-essential libdbus-glib-1-dev libgirepository1.0-dev -y
RUN apt-get update && apt install redis libicu-dev python3-distutils-extra libudev-dev libsystemd-dev libxml2-dev libcups2-dev libxmlsec1-dev libavformat-dev libavdevice-dev -y
COPY . .
RUN apt-get update && \
    apt-get install -y locales && \
    sed -i -e 's/# en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8/' /etc/locale.gen && \
    locale-gen
ENV LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
RUN pip3 install -r requirements.txt
#RUN python3 -m pip install 'git+https://github.com/facebookresearch/detectron2.git'
EXPOSE 8888 6006
CMD ["python3", "military_Pipeline.py"]

Hi,
thanks for the Dockerfile. But what is the errormessage which you can see when running the RUN pip3 install -r requirements.txt?
Your Dockerfile contains things which might be optimized:

• you run apt-get update multiple times when it is only needed to do so before running apt-get install ... and if you add a new repository. Maybe you can add the new repository first and then run apt-get update afterwards only once.
  • you try to install the same packages multiple times - build-essential is only one of them.

While I agree with @matthiasradde that your Dockerfile could “optimized” I’m going to use a different word. It needs to be “organized!” It looks like you have cut-n-pasted code from a number of recommendations in an attempt to get it working without really understanding what each line is doing. Don’t feel bad… this is how lots of Dockerfiles are build when trying to use multiple frameworks and technologies. :wink:

For example:

You start by apt-get installing python3-numpy python3-scipy python3-sklearn python3-matplotlib python3-pandas. What version of Python did these libraries install for? I’m guessing that you might not be sure.

I ask because your next RUN adds the Python 3.8 repository and then specifically install Python 3.8. I wouldn’t be surprised if your error has something to do with unresolved dependencies because you are mixing Python versions and packages.

You are also pip3 installing other packages in your Dockerfile that, I assume, are not in your requirements.txt file (or maybe they are but different versions are specified). So you not only are the same packages getting installed over, and over, again but packages are being installed in multiple places at different times.

I would start by installing the version of Python that you want as the very first step in your Dockerfile. Then consolidate all of the apt-get installs and do them next. Then consolidate all of the pip3 installs and do them next (or better yet, add them to your requirements.txt file). That will give you a better idea of what is being installed.

We cannot help you further without you posting the actual error message. Otherwise we are just guessing based on what we see in your Dockerfile. It would also help to see your requirements.txt file because it may be locking down versions for which different versions have already been installed. Again, just guessing because you haven’t show us the error message.

3 Likes