How to build custom images without Internet connection

Hello to All!

I’ve got a problem trying to work with Docker on standalone server without Internet access.
This is Debian Linux machine, I’ve installed docker from packages. All I need is to build and run several docker images including custom packages of Python, Apache and PostgreSQL.

But I cannot build anything without access to Docker Hub. docker build requires https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/

Is that possible to build custom images and than run them as containers without Internet access on server?

Thanks in advance,
Kirill.

Hi

You can build the image on, fx. your laptop or a server with internet access, and then compress the image and transfer it to the server.

Hello!

Thanks for reply, but is it possible to install and use docker completely without Internet access? Only using local repository.

Regards,
Kirill.

Hi again

Yes that should be possible, since it only uses internet to fetch images, the rest is local.

Hi,

so that is what I cannot do on local machine - fetch an image from registry-1.docker.io/v2/ - e.g. I have to prepare my own php image, apache image, postgres image etc. And point my docker to fetch these images locally, not from Docker Hub.

But how to build such images and configure docker to use them?

Regards,
Kirill.

You can read about a local repo here and how to use it (its all in the image name/tag):

you can do this, or as i wrote, simply compress the image on your local pc, and then just copy it to your server

1 Like