Installing docker-machine for vmware on CentOS stream 9

Hi,

I have 2 queries:

• I am searching and trying to install docker-machine for vmware workstation on CentOS stream 9, it install
    but if I search docker-machine or execute it, gives command not found.

The same works in Ubuntu

Please help as to how to install it for CentOS Stream 9

• I have Windows on which I have installed VMWare Workstation on which I have installed Ubuntu.
    Even though the docker-machine gets installed successfully on Ubuntu, while executing command
    docker-machine create --drive=vmware node1 - it gives below error
    “Machine did’nt return an IP after 120 seconds aborting”

Please help

Docker machine was deprecated in favor of Docker Desktop long time ago. The last release of Docker Machine was 4 years ago.

OK! Thanks
How to install docker desktop on Ubuntu / CentOS Stream 9, since I do not get any help on net. ?
I was searching long time but could not get any help!

Also how can I create docker vms using docker dekstop as it is explained using docker-machine. I am not getting any help on net?

Please advise

No problem, I googled it for you using the search terms “docker destktop install”.
This link was one of the top results: Install Docker Desktop on Linux | Docker Documentation

As you mentioned Ubuntu, you might want to try Docker Desktop on Ubuntu.

Thanks ! Got it but how it replaces docker-machine. i.e. how to use it for docker-machine to create VMs ?

I don’t understand your question. If you have a supported OS (Centos Stream is not supported), you can install Docker Desktop and use it. The documentation will guide you through the installation. If the documentation is not clear enough and you have an issue with the installation, you can come back and ask for help in the “Docker Desktop for Linux” category. Docker Desktop will not replace your existing Docker Machine on CentOS. As an alternative you can install Docker CE and Portainer (web interface for Docker).

I hope my question is not understood.
Since I am using Windows on which I have installed VMWare Workstation on which I have installed CentOS Stream 9. I was searching for installing docker-machine on CentOS 9 but could not. Suddenly I came across that docker-machine can be installed on Ubuntu. So I installed docker-machine on Ubuntu and configured docker-machine. Now question was to use it I need VMWare driver for docker-machine which I got reply from community that it has been deprecated and is replaced by Docker Dekstop.

Now on CentOS 9 I searched but could not find as to how to install docker-desktop. Now again I found solution for Ubuntu as to how to install Docker Desktop on Ubuntu. I have installed and configured.

Now the main question, how is docked-desktop similar to docker-machine wherein docker-machine can create VMs for specific drivers (VMWare Fusion, Workstation, AWS, Azure…) The same thing how can I execute on Docker Desktop so that I can get VMs as required w.r.t the drivers ?

Hope now my requirements are clear. Also till date I am not clear as to why nothing w.r.t CentOS 9 is not available in docker. Every time if I search I get solution w.r.t Ubuntu ?

To be honest, Docker Machine is so old, I don’t even remember how it worked. I remember only that I used once

Regarding Docker Desktop, I believe everything is in the documentation: Overview of Docker Desktop | Docker Docs

I quote:

• Ability to containerize and share any application on any cloud platform, in multiple languages and frameworks.
  • Quick installation and setup of a complete Docker development environment.
  • Includes the latest version of Kubernetes.
  • On Windows, the ability to toggle between Linux and Windows Server environments to build applications.
  • Fast and reliable performance with native Windows Hyper-V virtualization.
  • Ability to work natively on Linux through WSL 2 on Windows machines.
  • Volume mounting for code and data, including file change notifications and easy access to running containers on the localhost network.

and here on the page that @meyay shared with you before

• KVM virtualization support. Follow the KVM virtualization support instructions to check if the KVM kernel modules are enabled and how to provide access to the kvm device.
  • QEMU must be version 5.2 or newer. We recommend upgrading to the latest version.

and

KVM virtualization support

Docker Desktop runs a VM that requires KVM support.

So on Windows, you have the option to use the Hyper-V or the WSL2 backend. For Linux, WSL2 is the recommended. On a Linux host, it is using Qemu KVM and that’s it. No VMWare, no Virtualbox.

Thanks for the details.
Just to know, there is no support w.r.t CentOS for Docker Desktop ? Because I’m comfortable with CentOS.
Have to use Ubuntu likewise ?

By thw way supported platforms are very clearly mentioned in the documentation that we recommended for you.

Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora. No Centos.