Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Installing Java into WIndows Nano

I’m attempting to shrink some windows containers by moving from core to nano, but I’m having issues installing Java into a nano container. Has anyone pulled this off?

running the jre installer simply silently exists with no work being done. however, the same command in servercore works perfectly. From my buildprofile:

RUN powershell start-process -filepath C:\install\jre.exe -passthru -wait -argumentlist "/s,INSTALLDIR=c:\java,/L,install64.log"

again, awesome in core, no fly zone in nano (command is slightly different as there’s no powershell, but still). So I went with a multi-stage build where I installed java onto server core then copied the folder (in this case C:\java) into nano and set the environment variables. This appears to work … but the various war files don’t all run successfully. example, with the jenkins war …

1. the first-time login wizard starts (good!), but it doesn’t think it’s online so I can’t download starting packages.
  2. when the wizard is finished the screen blanks and it never goes to the home page.

I figure step 1 in torubleshooting this is to ensure java is installed and healthy on nano … but I’ve not figured out how to pull that off yet.

Anyone know of a DockerFile that does this? Optionally, anyone know an easy way to test java to ensure it’s healthy?

1 Like

I have the same problem, can anyone solve it? HELP.

I am having the same difficulty–I think it is because Nano Server does not contain the Windows Installer (msiexec.exe), unlike servercore.

I found this docker file which seems to do it by using a docker builder image to first install Java in servercore, then copying the install into a nano server image. I haven’t tried it yet, myself.

https://github.com/StefanScherer/dockerfiles-windows/blob/master/java/openjdk/ojdkbuild/nanoserver/Dockerfile