No space left on device error

I am having the same issue, but the Docker.qcow2 file is only 12 GB in size. So nowhere near 64GB. However deleting the file and restarting Docker definitely solved the issue for me.

I had the same issue and what I did was just delete Docker.qcow2. I lose all my images, but I just do this periodically and the next few builds I run take alonger but ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Quit Docker for Mac and restart it and it will recreate the file which will start at ~144mb.

1 Like

Same issue here on version 1.11.1-beta13.1

My Docker.qcow2 file stopped at 19GB and I was unable to resize it with qemu-img

I had to delete the file and restart docker. Is there somewhere in the docker config that sets the hard limit of 20GB?

Same issue on Docker version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670) and MacOS version 10.11.3. My Docker.qcow file also stopped at 19Go. Does anyone have a solution to increase the limit without deleting existing images ?

1 Like

Using “Version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670)”

Same issue, it’s happening at 15GB for me.
Work around is to delete the qcow2 file and restart Docker app
Note: you are losing all your images.

I also noticed that deleting docker images “docker rmi xxxxxxx” is not decreasing the size of this file

1 Like

I’m also seeing “No space left on device” suddenly. My Docker.qcow2 file is 62G. Is there a way to fix this without blowing away every single existing image?

Edit: Actually I was able to free up space and get going again by removing unused images/containers:
docker rm $(docker ps -q -f 'status=exited')
docker rmi $(docker images -q -f "dangling=true")

8 Likes

Thanks murz… that solution actually worked for me. At least for now. It didn’t change the size of the qcow2 file though. Mine is 19 GB.

Update: That didn’t last long. Got the same error again after trying to build a new project. :frowning: I don’t want to loose all my containers. Everything takes a while to rebuild.

Just for clarity, is there a definitive answer on how to increase the size of the of the image storage in the mac beta? Is it as simple as delete

1. rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
  2. Restart docker
  3. qemu-img resize ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2 +10G

Where the size increase can be changed by modifying the “+10G”.

I’m aware this wipes all images, but is there anything else which needs to be done or is that the complete set of steps?

2 Likes

I had this error and this SO post helped.

I had a fair amount of orphaned volumes and cleaned them up with:

docker volume rm $(docker volume ls -qf dangling=true)
11 Likes

I’m running into size issues too, it would be great to have a little UI that shows you what this space is being taken up with (and links to commands or a page that explains what to run to remove old containers / images etc)

Same issue, Docker.qcow2 is 18GB.

Docker version 1.12.0-rc2, build 906eacd, experimental

Same issue here, Docker.qcow2 is 19GB

Docker version is 1.12.0-rc2-beta17 (build: 9779) ff18c0c63c5ff3c4a4a925d191d5592d655779d7

This worked for me! .

Same issue. qcow2 file was 20+gb, so I removed it. Upon re-running my 2 (small!) containers, it ballooned back to 8gb and then stabilized. I upgraded to rc3 today and it then jumped to 14gb, where it’s now sitting.

Docker version 1.12.0-rc3, build 91e29e8, experimental

rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
restart docker

Worked for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Resize the image after it was created won’t work. You can check the result by running a df -h on any container: docker run --rm alpine df -h. You can see the space left remains the same (about 60G).

In order to increase the image storage.

1. Create a new “template” image with desired size: qemu-img create -f qcow2 ~/data.qcow2 120G where the 120G is my new size.
  2. Replace the default docker template /Application/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/moby/data.qcow2 with your brand new ~/data.qcow2 (I’ve saved the original just in case)
    2.1 This data.qcow2 is the initial image which is copied to mentioned path ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
  3. rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
    3.1 Unfortunately you have to wipe all your docker data as stated before
  4. restart docker
  5. Check disk free: docker run --rm alpine df -h
1 Like

I deleted the file as described. However, I did an export of the images I wanted to retain before doing so. Then i imported the images after the delete. Worked great.

Same thing happened on one of my Linux boxes. So not strictly Mac related.

@quasiben’s suggestion worked perfectly:

1 Like

I have the same issue as above mentioned, tried thousands of things over the internet, no success!, as it turns out I changed my docker storage driver from devicemapper to aufs and everything now works like a charm.

I fixed this by manually removing some images. Use docker images to list all the images you have stored and docker rmi <image_name> to remove them. http://stackoverflow.com/a/30605040/4249632