No space left on device error

I’m using the Docker for Mac Beta 10 and trying to pull a very large image from our Docker trusted registry. The final layer it pulls is 6.5Gb large and right at the end of the extraction process I get the following error:

failed to register layer: Untar re-exec error: exit status 1: output: write /home/oracle/app/oracle/oradata/oracle/users01.dbf: no space left on device

I have over 300Gb of free space so I’m not sure why this is appearing.

3 Likes

Hi @chrisevens, It’s possibly because the Docker.qcow2 is full.
Can you try ls -lah ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2?
The disk is a 64GB Sparse Image that will expand on demand… We currently aren’t able to reclaim unused space but we’ll hopefully have a fix in a future beta. You can delete this file providing you aren’t worried about loosing any containers/images, and restart Docker. This should get you back on track.
Let me know if this helps!

5 Likes

You could also try increasing the size?

qemu-img resize ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.
driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2 +10G

Resizing it does not help at the minute, although I am working on that.

Ok so we have an image which is 67Gb large and I can’t pull it with the Mac beta. Deleting that file didn’t resolve the issue, nor did resizing.

Seems like the 64Gb image isn’t expanding?

Hey, I’m having this same issue, tho my image size is 19GB and I can’t seem to get qemu-img to work (I can’t even find that binary).

Is there any other way of setting the size of the native OSX docker daemon?

Yep I’m running into this same problem too (I’m doing some heavy data processing testing and storing results in volumes). Does that mean cleaning up dangling volumes or containers just removes the reference and not the actual data?

I followed the advice and blew away Docker.qcow2 and restarted docker

I think we really need another slider in config options to change the size of the Docker.qcow2 (I’d even be happy with a “stupid” solution that wipes and re-creates it with bigger size).
Doing it by hand with qemu and gparted works, but is annoying as hell.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue, but the Docker.qcow2 file is only 12 GB in size. So nowhere near 64GB. However deleting the file and restarting Docker definitely solved the issue for me.

I had the same issue and what I did was just delete Docker.qcow2. I lose all my images, but I just do this periodically and the next few builds I run take alonger but ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Quit Docker for Mac and restart it and it will recreate the file which will start at ~144mb.

1 Like

Same issue here on version 1.11.1-beta13.1

My Docker.qcow2 file stopped at 19GB and I was unable to resize it with qemu-img

I had to delete the file and restart docker. Is there somewhere in the docker config that sets the hard limit of 20GB?

Same issue on Docker version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670) and MacOS version 10.11.3. My Docker.qcow file also stopped at 19Go. Does anyone have a solution to increase the limit without deleting existing images ?

1 Like

Using “Version 1.11.1-beta14 (build: 8670)”

Same issue, it’s happening at 15GB for me.
Work around is to delete the qcow2 file and restart Docker app
Note: you are losing all your images.

I also noticed that deleting docker images “docker rmi xxxxxxx” is not decreasing the size of this file

1 Like

I’m also seeing “No space left on device” suddenly. My Docker.qcow2 file is 62G. Is there a way to fix this without blowing away every single existing image?

Edit: Actually I was able to free up space and get going again by removing unused images/containers:
docker rm $(docker ps -q -f 'status=exited')
docker rmi $(docker images -q -f "dangling=true")

8 Likes

Thanks murz… that solution actually worked for me. At least for now. It didn’t change the size of the qcow2 file though. Mine is 19 GB.

Update: That didn’t last long. Got the same error again after trying to build a new project. :frowning: I don’t want to loose all my containers. Everything takes a while to rebuild.

Just for clarity, is there a definitive answer on how to increase the size of the of the image storage in the mac beta? Is it as simple as delete

1. rm ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2
  2. Restart docker
  3. qemu-img resize ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker. driver.amd64-linux/Docker.qcow2 +10G

Where the size increase can be changed by modifying the “+10G”.

I’m aware this wipes all images, but is there anything else which needs to be done or is that the complete set of steps?

2 Likes

I had this error and this SO post helped.

I had a fair amount of orphaned volumes and cleaned them up with:

docker volume rm $(docker volume ls -qf dangling=true)
11 Likes

I’m running into size issues too, it would be great to have a little UI that shows you what this space is being taken up with (and links to commands or a page that explains what to run to remove old containers / images etc)

Same issue, Docker.qcow2 is 18GB.

Docker version 1.12.0-rc2, build 906eacd, experimental

Same issue here, Docker.qcow2 is 19GB

Docker version is 1.12.0-rc2-beta17 (build: 9779) ff18c0c63c5ff3c4a4a925d191d5592d655779d7