Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Postgres container already running + computer restart = container appears, is not usable and cannot be restarted (error)

(Vinz33000) #1

Hello,

For information, I use “windows 10 Powershell” and the last docker software.

The procedure which creates the error is below:

Firslty, i create a container from the last postgres image thanks to the following commands :

docker pull postgres
docker run --name postgresbdd -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=postgres -p 5432:5432 -d postgres

After this operation, i get a correct postgres container and it works fine with my java application.
i can open a psql container too thanks to the command :

docker run -it --rm --link postgresbdd:postgres postgres psql -h postgres -U postgres

Nevertheless, when i restart my computer, there is a problem which appears.
With the command below, the process is always launched :

docker ps

However, when i start my java application, the access is not possible.
If i try to stop and start or restart the container there is the following error:

Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint postgresbdd (d79f1908f7e42544992 8b4ca0136cf1cf807dc843bd175c6e793bc4385dddf5d): Error starting userland proxy: mkdir /port/tcp:0.0.0.0:5432:tcp:172.17.0 .2:5432: input/output error Error: failed to start containers: 3be39913

After this error, i tried to do the following operations :

1. if i immediatly watch the ports which are used thanks to the netstat -anob or netstat -a -b commands, the 5432 port is not in the returned data.
  2. If i launch the tasklist /v > "tasks.txt" command, the 5432 port is not visible in the tasks.txt file which is created.
  3. If i delete the container and create another one with -p 5433:5432, i always have the problem.

Now, I am totally lost and i don’t know how i could solve the problem.
Please, could you give me some advice and help (or the solution too :slight_smile: )

Vinz

PS: I’m sorry if it’s not well written but I do not speak English very well.

(Sam) #2

when you start a container, it will persist forever, until you delete it.
UNLESS you specify --rm as one of the docker run parameters…

note, using --rm will cause ANY DATA in the container to be lost as the container will be discarded.

second, by default containers running prior to reboot will be restarted
https://blog.codeship.com/ensuring-containers-are-always-running-with-dockers-restart-policy/

but, the database was not shutdown cleanly and may need special handling to accomplish that
so I would look at the postgres database recovery information… the image you used may also provide some info. so I would look at the info on dockerhub for that image

third… the ip address of the restarted container may NOT be the same as before the reboot.

(Vinz33000) #3

Hello. Thanks you for your response. For information, I put the rm in order to create a connection to the database which is in the first container. The second container is temporary. In fact, a container is created each time i want to use psql.