Problems getting started with Docker Toolbox

Apple Mac Pro (Early 2009) 4.1-> 5.1 FW
macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra
Docker version 17.07.0-ce, build 8784753
Kitematic (beta) 0.17

Hello, I am trying to get started with Docker Toolbox which I have been forced to install because my Apple Mac Pro is too ancient to support anything more advanced. Following steps I took to increase the number of VMs to 2 and the memory from 2Gb to 4Gb, I then attempted to install the MSSQL-SERVER-LINUX image. I carried out the installation in the Kitematic UI, and it seemed to complete OK. Eventually, it gave this message:

You can accept the EULA by specifying the --accept-eula command line option, setting the ACCEPT_EULA environment variable, or using the mssql-conf tool.

I then switched to the Docker Quickstart Terminal and entered:

docker run -e 'ACCEPT_EULA=Y' -e 'SA_PASSWORD=<MyPassword>' -p 1433:1433 -d microsoft/mssql-server-linux:latest

This seemed to be accepted OK as well. The problem comes when I try to connect using a MS SQL client. I am trying to use the new MS SQL Operations Studio which presents me with this dialog:

I’m not sure what should go in the Server name field based on what I’ve entered so far. The Database name and indeed the Server group fields are causing me similar confusion. I’m guessing that the user name should be sa and the password should be the password I chose in place of <MyPassword> in the docker run command.

I’m wondering is I have missed a step at the command line which creates the Server name and Database name. If someone could help me out here, I would be very grateful.

34%20PM

I’ve been using 127.0.0.1 for the server name.

Also you know you have it right when you use the pull-down for server name and it populates with all the available databases.

I’m currently using it with Visual Studio for Mac to keep my C# programing skills honed.Wrote some classes and methods for displaying database info in a Bootstrap framework. Let me know if you need further help.

:wink: MRF