Running GUI applications in container with user namespace remapping

I am running docker with user namespace remapping. The reason for this is because I want to profile my code with a tool called Intel VTune, but I can’t do it because the tool cannot profile code that is running as root. So in order to make the executables that I run inside my container not run as root, I decided to use user namespace remapping.

I added the following line to my /etc/docker/daemon.json

{
  "userns-remap": "default"
}

Relevant information in this link: Isolate containers with a user namespace | Docker Docs

To summarize what this does:

• It runs docker with the dockremap user (docker creates this user if it’s not already present)
  • The dockremap user apparently has all the privileges that the root user has.
  • This means you can’t use the docker run flags --privileged and --net=host (“User namespace known limitations” section in the above link)

However, without the --privileged and --net=host flags, I cannot get GUI applications to run inside the container.

These are my docker run flags when running the container without user namespace remapping (so without adding the line to the /etc/docker/daemon.json).

{
	"runArgs": ["--rm",
				"--privileged",
				"--net=host",
				"--env=DISPLAY",
				"--env=QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1",
				"--volume=/tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix",
	]
}

(Note: this is part of the devcontainer.json file for VSCode’s devcontainer extension)

With these run flags, I can run any GUI program from inside the container. Typing xhost on the terminal also works (it shows a list of all authorized users of xhost). However, the GUI program runs as root user and I cannot profile it.

When using the user namespace remapping, I simply removed the --privileged and --net=host flags.

{
	"runArgs": ["--rm",
				"--env=DISPLAY",
				"--env=QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1",
				"--volume=/tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix",
	]
}

GUI applications do not work on this container. When I type xhost, it returns Unable to open display :0.

I have tried disabling the access control to XServer using xhost +. Even with the access control turned off, I could not run any GUI applications from inside the container and running xhost still returned Unable to open display :0.

I cannot pinpoint what the issue is. Since turning off access control to XServer did not fix the issue, I don’t think it is a problem with the container not being able to use the host’s XServer. I think the problem most likely arises from the lack of the --net=host flag. However, I don’t fully understand what this flag does and how to circumvent it.

Any suggestions?