ServerVersion reporting “dev” instead of version number

Hi all!

For some obscure reason Docker on my Mac is reporting ServerVersion back as “dev” instead of the normal version number.

Ok, probably local because docker version tells me:
Client:
Cloud integration: v1.0.31
Version: 23.0.5
API version: 1.42
Go version: go1.19.8
Git commit: bc4487a
Built: Wed Apr 26 16:12:52 2023
OS/Arch: darwin/amd64
Context: default

Server: Docker Desktop 4.19.0 (106363)
Engine:
Version: dev
API version: 1.43 (minimum version 1.12)
Go version: go1.20.3
Git commit: HEAD
Built: Tue Apr 25 09:07:58 2023
OS/Arch: linux/amd64
Experimental: false
containerd:
Version: 1.6.20
GitCommit: 2806fc1057397dbaeefbea0e4e17bddfbd388f38
runc:
Version: 1.1.5
GitCommit: v1.1.5-0-gf19387a
docker-init:
Version: 0.19.0
GitCommit: de40ad0

Why does this happen en how can I revert this back to it being the normal version number more again?

Fresh standard (not from source) re-install of latest version of Docker Desktop for Mac.

Interesting. Based on when the server was built, you ae using a version built one day earlier than mine.

Built:            Wed Apr 26 16:17:14 2023

Or maybe it just shows the time in our own local timezone.The difference is two large to be caused by different timezones. It is possible that Docker Desktop was built with a wrong parameter, they realized and rebuilt it, but you already downloade yours. Have you tried to uninstall Docker Desktop and download it again?

Since my Mac has an ARM cpu, it is also possible that the ARM version was built later, but I would not assume such a big difference in time…

Hi @rimelek ! Thanks for your reply. Yes, i (think i) completely removed Docker Desktop, re-downloaded it and re-installed it, but the ServerVersion stays the same. I think there is some loeft-over configuration file somewhere that does this. The issue is that i cannot use docker for my ansible scripts now since the scripts do a version check and expect a version number, not “dev”.

I will search for guidance on how to make sure all traces of Docker are gone and reinstall again. In the mean time, there is nothing else i can do that run Docker on Linux, which works as expected.

I talked about an older version but you could get some ideas from my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQJSnRdy10

1 Like

I don’t know what exactly changed the ServerVersion, but following the YouTube video and removing everything fixed the problem. Thanks for making this video!!