Unable to get the Docker service up on Windows 10

I have installed Docker on my Windows 10 (Laptop), installation was smooth. But when Docker was getting initialized (for the first time after installation) after my system restarted, it failed with the following error.

I tried following the Microsoft documentation, but to no avail. The mentioned feature is not getting installed for a reason as given below.

"Update Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients of package Microsoft-Hyper-V-ClientEdition failed to be turned on. Status: 0x80070002."

I am able to see that the Docker Desktop Service running fine in SERVICES.MSC. I am able to check the docker version from command prompt but any further commands throws the following error. I’m not completely sure if the aforementioned reason is the cause for these failures as well…

C:>docker -v
Docker version 19.03.12, build 48a66213fe

C:>docker run hello-world
docker: error during connect: Post http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.40/containers/create: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.
See ‘docker run --help’.

C:>docker images ls
error during connect: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.40/images/json?filters=%7B%22reference%22%3A%7B%22ls%22%3Atrue%7D%7D: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.

C:>docker container ls --all
error during connect: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.40/containers/json?all=1: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.

Can someone help me in getting this issue resolved?

Can you tell us more detailed what version of Docker desktop you install on what version and build of Windows 10? Are there any other hypervisors on your system (like Virtualbox) that may conflict with Hyper-V?

Thanks for your reply @tekki .
Here are the details that you’ve requested for:

Docker Version:
PS C:> docker --version
Docker version 19.03.12, build 48a66213fe

Windows Version:
PS C:> [System.Environment]::OSVersion.Version

Major Minor Build Revision

10 0 17763 0

There are no hypervisors installed prior to this. Hope I’ve been able to provide the details that you’re looking for.

This is Windows 10 1809, isn’t it? Can’t you upgrade to 2004?
The other number in your answer is the version of the Docker command line, I was asking about Docker Desktop. This must be 2.3.something. Unfortunately the file we download contains no version number, I always rename it after the download.

Unfortunately, I didn’t make a note of the version Docker Desktop that I downloaded.
I can’t upgrade Windows as of now, but I have installed all the patches that are available for that version of Windows. It’s an Office laptop, can’t do that!

Luckily got these details from Control Panel -> I’ve installed Docker Desktop 2.3.0.4

Might be a bit late to the party but I’m trying to do some Jenkins Pipeline work on W10. Got the same error and restarted etc.
Answer: as Jenkins starts as a service, with an unprivileged user, I found I had to add the jenkins user to the “docker-users” group. I’m on docker engine version 20.10.8 with the containers starting in WSL (not HyperV).

All good from then on. Oh - restart the jenkins service to get the new group membership.

I think your window version is old. ensure that it neweast.