Unable to Install Docker Desktop for Windows in Wine

Hello! I tried to install Docker Desktop application on Windows 10, but the installer returns the following error message:

Manifest extraction failed: Could not load file or assembly 'Windows, Version=255.255.255.255, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
  at CommunityInstaller.InstallWorkflow.DoHandleD4WPackageAsync (System.Threading.CancellationToken cancelToken, System.String localPackagePath) [0x0011c] in <5f9372239883427f810f628c8e328309>:0 
  at CommunityInstaller.InstallWorkflow.DoProcessAsync (System.Threading.CancellationToken cancelToken) [0x00338] in <5f9372239883427f810f628c8e328309>:0

What I need to do to Install this application successfully?
Thanks

Do you really want to install it on Windows 10 or on Wine? I found your question on the winehq forum.

If you need Docker Desktop without having Windows machine, you can now try Docker Desktop for Linux. It is still beta, but at least it is supported.

1 Like

Yes, I know about Docker Desktop for Linux. I need to run Docker for Windows on Wine, because of other application that is not supported for Linux.
Is there other dependencies that I need to install in order to run Docker for Windows in Wine?
Thanks!

1 Like

I have no idea. I have never tried it.

Hi, I have the same problem/same error by trying to install Docker with wine on a ubuntu machine (wine is necessary for other reasons…).
If anyone has a solution and is happy to share, I would appreciate it very much :slight_smile:

Wine merly translates Windows api calls to Posix api calls. It is more like a shim and neither an emulator, nor a vm. Docker Desktop for Windows requires WSL, which depends on features of the Windows kernel.

Have you considered to run a kvm windows vm instead?