What is the plan to scale the *licensing*

Is it correct to assume that since Docker for AWS uses a custom (Docker provided) AMI, that the plan is to offer this with a per hour, AMI based model that scales based on usage?

If so, can we reasonably expect the cost to mirror that of DDC and be based on support SLA (bus day / bus critical)? e.g. a $1500 per year bus day node license would be 1500 / (365 * 24) per hour using the AMI pricing?

Also, will this integrate/be first class in DDC…or will we it require some fiddling to get it to work in/with DDC

Thanks!

Thanks for posting. This has not been settled yet, but I strongly suspect that there’ll continue to be a fully free, community-supported version of Docker for AWS.

If you want DDC or Commercially Supported engine, that’ll work something like what we currently have.

And yes, we’re working very hard to make this a great foundation for setting up DDC (and you can also setup DDC on Docker for AWS after having first installed Docker for AWS).

Thanks Michael. I may need to clarify the question a bit.

• DDC licensing is static per node.
  • Docker for AWS leverages the autoscaling capabilities that AWS offers.
  • So, that presents the problem of a static licensing model for an elastic service. In its current state, DDC customers who wish to scale their Docker services elastically will be forced to license the max expected physical nodes…but pay for that all the time when they only need it @ peak times.
  • AWS has for some time had a solution to this for vendors: AMI based billing that pays the vendor hourly any amount they define. I assumed that since this project uses a ‘special’ AMI to which we must be granted access…that was at least part of that purpose?

If I’m parsing your response correctly, there are currently no plans to integrate the autoscaling functionality of Docker for AWS into how the commercially supported products (csEng, DDC) are licensed?

Even if we installed Docker for AWS, and then installed DDC on top of it…we still have to license DDC in a way that is elastic for that to have any value/make any sense.

Hi @ezeeetm, I’m the product manager leading Docker Datacenter. We do in fact have plans to provide more granular billing models for DDC to enable auto-scaling functionality to be billed appropriately, in Amazon as well as across other cloud providers or in openstack and vmware on-premises. The goal however is to ensure we can do this agnostic of the infrastructure and even across infrastructure providers. I agree that we haven’t done that yet with our current monthly and annual pricing models. Our goal is to provide a billing model that allows you to scale up and down that reflects how much total time you use (and get value from) docker engine and related services, e.g. Docker Content Trust and Docker Trusted Registry. We’re working on that billing model but don’t have it available yet so for now, you’re solution is correct. Please feel free to DM me (banjot -at-docker-dot-com) so we can chat more about this; there are aspects of this model that we could certainly use feedback on.

@banjot @friism Thanks, guys. Will ping you…