What is the process for connecting to a remote docker host running a different version?

I installed Docker for Mac beta on Mac OS X 10.11.4. I need to connect to a docker host running an older version of docker and do things like view logs and possibly /bin/bash into it from time to time. What is the correct process for making it so this is possible?

I tried simply connecting normally with docker -H remote.hostname:4243 ps -a but I received an unsurprising error with

client is newer than server (client API version: 1.23, server API version: 1.19)

On previous incarnations of docker on my Mac I would have used dkenv to switch docker client versions. I’m not sure if that is still the right process with the new Docker for Mac? The instructions at https://beta.docker.com/docs/mac/docker-toolbox/ mention have to have a full Docker Toolbox running along side Docker for Mac but I really only want the client (I think) to be multiple versioned.

What is the recommended approach to solving this problem?

You can set the environment variable DOCKER_API_VERSION=1.19 before running docker to connect to that version.

2 Likes