Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Why docker-compose down deletes my volume? how to define volume as external?

I use docker in ubuntu 16.04 LTS: Docker version 18.06.1-ce, build e68fc7a

in https://docs.docker.com/compose/reference/down/ it stated that
docker-compose down by default doesn’t remove volumes.

mongo:
image: mongo
restart: always
networks:
- mynetwork
environment:
MONGO_INITDB_ROOT_USERNAME: user
MONGO_INITDB_ROOT_PASSWORD: pass
volumes:
- ./mongodata:/db/data

when I run docker-compose down without -v or --volumes, why my data is lost? does docker delete my volume?

it’s already on this thread: Docker Volume missing after docker-compose down without -v flag too, but doesn’t receive any answer yet.

and how to define the volume as external ?

(Metin Y.) #2

The documentation is absolute unclear, because the “by default” block contradicts with the sentence above and under when it commes to volumes. True is that everything that was created with up gets removed/deleted on down.

services, networks and named volumes declared in a compose.yml are bound to the lifecylce of docker-compose.

You need to create your volume from the cli (docker volume create ....), and declare it in your compose.yml as external.

The documentation is absolute unclear, because the “by default” block contradicts with the sentence above and under when it commes to volumes. True is that everything that was created with up gets removed/deleted on down.

this makes me confused too.

I just about to update the thread. I now understand that I can make the volume external by adding external: true

volumes:
    - mongo_data:/db/data
volumes: 
  mongo_data:
    external: true

then I create the volume using docker volume create --name=mongo_data

but when I’m using docker-compose down again, the data seems doesn’t persist. the volume is still there when I list them using docker volume ls but when re-running docker-compose up the data is gone.

but when I just stopping the container docker-compose stop and re-run the service, the data still there.

could it be mongo problem? not docker?
should I add mongo to the title?

(Metin Y.) #4

we use external named volumes in development, qa and prod a lot. Data inside an external volume is not deleted by docker-compose or docker stack rm {stackname}.

We use bind type as source for our named volumes in development and NFS as the source in our qa and prod environments.Both can be done with the included “local” persistance driver.

Okay so apparently I misread the mongo documentation: https://hub.docker.com/_/mongo

The -v /my/own/datadir:/data/db part of the command mounts the /my/own/datadir directory from the underlying host system as /data/db inside the container, where MongoDB by default will write its data files.

it’s /data/db not /db/data like I write before. Therefore, external volume indeed work. Thank you!