Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Automated build for Windows based images

I’m learning docker and as part of my crash course I’m building an image based on a Windows Server Core (microsoft/windowsservercore).

One of my goals is to leverage the docker hub automated builds. I made all the changes necessary to enable the container to become self contained, meaning it will build the necessary software as part of the docker build.

Then I hooked my mininugetserver repository to my asarafian/mininugetserver only to see this error

uilding in Docker Cloud's infrastructure...
Cloning into '.'...

KernelVersion: 4.4.0-51-generic
BuildTime: 2016-10-27T17:57:25.523154709+00:00
ApiVersion: 1.24
Version: 1.12.3-cs3
GitCommit: 781bb16
Arch: amd64
GoVersion: go1.6.3
Starting build of index.docker.io/asarafian/mininugetserver:buildincontainer...
Step 1 : FROM microsoft/windowsservercore

unknown blob

As it looks docker hub doesn’t support building windows based images. I haven’t find any specifics on this yet so I would appreciate if someone can verify my assumptions and even better provide some insight about the future.

Just in case my issue is #11 on the repository. Can’t post the full link as I’m still a new user.

I don’t beleive this is supported. I tried to build inside Visual Studio Online and it fails too.

This would be a cool feature to complete the Windows support. I think it will come when the next version goes out of release. Currently you need to switch manually to support both linux and windows images on a windows box.
Also, as far as I know, Linux hosts will never support the Windows images, so docker hub will require some sort of host separation to build both type of containers.