Building Container -- No Space Left On Device

Hi all,

I’m pretty new to Docker, and I’ve been struggling with this issue for the past day or so.

We’ve got a large web application that’s a huge pain to install on a fresh machine. It’s got all kinds of weird undocumented dependencies, and I’m trying to automate as much of this as I can. I’m using Docker both to automate this process as well as hopefully migrate away from OpenSUSE toward CentOS.

Our installation procedure depends heavily on the directory structure of OpenSUSE, so I’m using OpenSUSE 13.1 as my base. The Dockerfile runs along nicely, installing nodejs, postgresql, and some other dependencies. However, there is a section in the install procedure where a bunch of source code files (around 3gb of files) are copied to various places in the file system, including /dev/shm. During this copy procedure, I start seeing all kinds of ‘no space left on device’ errors, and the build fails. I have checked, and I have plenty of free inodes and plenty of free space.

I’m not sure if I’m using the tool incorrectly or what, but we have a git repository containing all of the source as well as a Dockerfile at the top level. One of the lines in the Dockerfile calls ADD to expose the directory in the container, so the files can be copied to where they need to be. Is this incorrect?

Docker info:
Containers: 0
Running: 0
Paused: 0
Stopped: 0
Server Version: 1.11.1
Storage Driver: aufs
Root Dir: /var/lib/docker/aufs
Backing Filesystem: extfs
Dirs: 10
Dirperm1 Supported: true
Logging Driver: json-file
Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
Plugins:
Volume: local
Network: bridge null host
Kernel Version: 4.4.0-21-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
OSType: linux
Architecture: x86_64
CPUs: 1
Total Memory: 9.371 GiB
Name: nick-VirtualBox
ID: JRHC:W2RV:XAOQ:W5ZM:XWIE:I2KQ:I4BG:KJN6:IEC6:PCPG:BSXQ:WSTI
Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
Debug mode (client): false
Debug mode (server): false
Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
WARNING: No swap limit support

As the message indicates more disk space is needed. If using Amazon EC2, EBS Volume may be expanded.
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ebs-expand-volume.html

I am not using Amazon EC2, I am simply running Ubuntu in VirtualBox. It has plenty of disk space, according to df -kh.

But how much of the disk space is free space? Find with
df

That’s what I meant. I have plenty of free disk space. About 20gb of free space. My virtual machine’s disk is not full.

Was mentioned “a bunch of source code files (around 3gb of files) are copied to various places in the file system, including /dev/shm”

More than 20GB could be required as copying the files to 6-7 locations, though should not be required, would take excess of 20gb. Is it know how many copies are made?

I am not copying 3gb of files multiple times. I am distributing that 3gb of files in different places throughout the filesystem. 20gb is more than enough space. As I said, running df -kh after the container build fails, I still have lots of free space. The virtual machine’s disk is not full.

I am having the same issue. I have 92 gb of free disk space. seems like not much support for docker that is very useful