BuildKit doesn't work anymore - invalid mount path: 'C:/ProgramData/buildkitd/.buildstate'

Hi,

after getting problems to list local images in docker desktop (list becomes always empty), I restarted docker and also the PC. After that, I get the image list back but the buildkit fails every time.

So I reinstall Docker for Windows and also create a new builder instance with –driveropt=docker-container --use.

Nothing helps and I get stuck with docker buildx build --platform…

#1 creating container buildx_buildkit_chriskuba0 0.1s done
#1 ERROR: Error response from daemon: invalid mount config for type "volume": invalid mount path: 'C:/ProgramData/buildkitd/.buildstate' mount path must be absolute
------
 > [internal] booting buildkit:
------
error: Error response from daemon: invalid mount config for type "volume": invalid mount path: 'C:/ProgramData/buildkitd/.buildstate' mount path must be absolute

Hope someone can help me.

THX

Some additional infos:

Docker: v20.10.8
WSL

NAME                   STATE           VERSION
* docker-desktop         Running         2
  docker-desktop-data    Running         2
NAME/NODE       DRIVER/ENDPOINT                STATUS   PLATFORMS
chriskuba *     docker-container
  chriskuba0    npipe:////./pipe/docker_engine inactive
desktop-linux   docker
  desktop-linux desktop-linux                  running  linux/amd64, linux/arm64, linux/riscv64, linux/ppc64le, linux/s390x, linux/386, linux/arm/v7, linux/arm/v6
default         docker
  default       default                        running  linux/amd64, linux/arm64, linux/riscv64, linux/ppc64le, linux/s390x, linux/386, linux/arm/v7, linux/arm/v6
1 Like

I also recently started building cross platform docker images with buildx and ran into the same exact issue.
I was, however, able to build for other architectures by using the default buildx builder. Could you try deleting the chriskuba profile and running your build?

extra info:
I’m also running Docker v20.10.8, WSL, and "experimental": true in the config.

Hi,

thx for your reply.

I’ve deleted and recreated the builder multiple times.
With and without the additional builder I can create a single docker image with docker build.

But my default docker buildx build command fails with the default builder, because its the wrong driver for multiple parallel builds.

But a single build works. Thx for the advice.
Better than nothing …

btw: experimental: true/false doesnt change anything

The error is based on

and

I dont think I run the command in a username space. Diggin in WSL all is ‘root’
h ttps://github.com/moby/buildkit/blob/d71e905ad108a030fe0db0c557d50528865d390c/cmd/buildkitd/main.go#L418-L425

Downgrade to 3.5.2 helps.
See Bug in 3.6.0? Win10: "docker builderx create" creates an inactive instance · Issue #754 · docker/buildx · GitHub