Can docker-ce support newest version of kernel (4.12.8)?

hi, all

I have run docker-engine(the old version) for a while. Today I tried to test docker engine on newest kernel, 4.12.8 and found the docker failed to start after the system started.

I manually compile the kernel and the OS-distribution I used is ubuntu 16.04-xenial.

Then I just uninstall the old version of docker and installed the new docker-ce.
The problem reported by apt-get install is shown below:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
docker-ce
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 99.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu xenial/stable amd64 docker-ce amd64 17.09.0~ce-0~ubuntu [21.0 MB]
Fetched 21.0 MB in 0s (23.1 MB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package docker-ce.
(Reading database … 453251 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/docker-ce_17.09.0~ce-0~ubuntu_amd64.deb …
Unpacking docker-ce (17.09.0~ce-0~ubuntu) …
Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu21) …
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) …
Setting up docker-ce (17.09.0~ce-0~ubuntu) …
Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status docker.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript docker, action “start” failed.
● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2017-11-14 17:45:54 MST; 8ms ago
Docs: https://docs.docker.com
Process: 10618 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd -H fd:// (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 10618 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Tasks: 23
Memory: 3.1M
CPU: 84ms
CGroup: /system.slice/docker.service

Nov 14 17:45:54 disco-0021 systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
Nov 14 17:45:54 disco-0021 systemd[1]: docker.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 14 17:45:54 disco-0021 systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
dpkg: error processing package docker-ce (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So, if the error is caused by the incompatibility for newest version of kernel or by lacking configuration options which I should have done at “make menuconfig” ???

Appreciate all your help and comments…

Thanks!

Wei

hi,all

Problem is solved, it is caused by some dependent issues from old version of docker engine. After I delete the /var/lib/docker and then re-install the docker-ce, the problem is solved. However, all my old images get lost

Wei