Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Cannot read via host OS symlink files that mount in windows container

(Winterttr) #1

I try to use fluentd to read the kubernetes pod log files on a windows k8s cluster (yes, windows version k8s cluster).

I found that, all the kubernetes pod log is under C:/var/log folder on the host OS, so I plan to mount this folder into the fluentd container so that fluentd can read it.

Because I found that all the files under C:/var/log folder is symlink files, and the real target file is under C:\ProgramData\docker, so I mount both folder into the pod, because I think the symlink files need the targeting files as well.

But I found that, fluentd can read the read file (under C:\ProgramData\docker) but cannot read via symlink file under C:/var/log.

So I remote to my windows node and try to verify by running:

$ docker run --rm  -v c:/var/log:c:/var/log -v c:/ProgramData/docker:c:/ProgramData/docker -it mcr.microsoft.com/powershell powershell

And got the following result:

PS C:\var\log\containers> type .\speller-col2-65679699c6-hjvhw_speller_speller-col2-ddd1788228d99678c04e85cc2438cb1646667ee0c751a9768b53da92df9f3103.log
type : The create operation failed because the name contained at least one mount point which resolves to a volume to which the specified device object is not attached.
At line:1 char:1
+ type .\speller-col2-65679699c6-hjvhw_speller_speller-col2-ddd1788228d ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ReadError: (C:\var\log\cont...a92df9f3103.log:String) [Get-Content], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetContentReaderIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

I try to read the real log file ( which those symlink files point to), and I can get the content correctly. But when I try to read via the symlink files, it fails. I believe that’s why the fluentd cannot work as well.

I try to google but I don’t find any clue. Is there anyone who has tried the same case before or anyone who can share some idea that I can try?