Cannot use docker-machine after setting up Docker for Mac

Expected behavior

docker-machine start default starts a vm in virtualbox with docker

Actual behavior

default) Check network to re-create if needed…
(default) Creating a new host-only adapter produced an error: /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage hostonlyif create failed:
(default) 0%…
(default) Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
(default) VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
(default) VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
(default) VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
(default) VBoxManage: error: Context: “RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg*)” at line 71 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
(default)
(default) This is a known VirtualBox bug. Let’s try to recover anyway…
Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue

Information

OS X: version 10.10.5 (build: 14F1713)
Docker.app: version v1.10.3-beta5
Running diagnostic tests:
[ERROR] docker-cli /var/run/docker.sock does not exist
[OK] Moby booted
[ERROR] driver.amd64-linux /tmp/fs.socket does not exist
[OK] vmnetd
[ERROR] lofs Connection refused (ECONNREFUSED) connecting to /var/tmp/com.docker.lofs.socket: check if service is running
[ERROR] osxfs Connection refused (ECONNREFUSED) connecting to /var/tmp/com.docker.osxfs.socket: check if service is running
[ERROR] db Connection refused (ECONNREFUSED) connecting to /var/tmp/com.docker.db.socket: check if service is running
[ERROR] slirp Connection refused (ECONNREFUSED) connecting to /var/tmp/com.docker.slirp.port.socket: check if service is running
[OK] menubar
[OK] environment
[OK] Docker
[OK] VT-x
Docker logs are being collected into /tmp/20160331-094856.tar.gz.
Your unique id in bugsnag is: 8F0023E1-EB57-4337-81BB-F4432246BE43
Please quote this in all correspondence.

I know it says the docker socket does not exist and that’s because I’m not running the beta.
Edit: Might as well try upgrading Virtualbox but this issue appeared after I ran the beta.
Edit 2: Virtual Box won’t upgrade on my computer so I’m stuck with being unable to run docker-machine

I seem to be able to run Docker Machine VMs just fine with Docker for Mac installed and running. What version of VirtualBox are you running? Based on the information I’m seeing, you might be running something older than 5.0.12? No VPN running?

For reference I’m using the following:

OS X 10.11.4
Docker 1.10.3 (via DockerToolbox 1.10.3)
VirtualBox 5.0.16