docker ps should work. Especially when both menu bar applet & Kitematic are working fine.
$ docker ps Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?
The output of
pinata diagnose correctly identifies the problem. (DOCKER_HOST was set globally on my machine for ease of use with ‘classic’ docker.)
However, I had no clue
pinata existed until I started filing this ticket. It’s a great tool - I believe it should be promoted more visibly. It would have saved me an hour while I tried other things mentioned in the forum.
$ pinata diagnose -u OS X: version 10.11.5 (build: 15F34) Docker.app: version v1.11.1-beta13.1 Running diagnostic tests: [OK] Moby booted [OK] driver.amd64-linux [OK] vmnetd [OK] osxfs [OK] db [OK] slirp [OK] menubar [ERROR] environment the variable DOCKER_HOST should not be set [OK] Docker [OK] VT-x Docker logs are being collected into /tmp/20160603-163105.tar.gz Most specific failure is: the variable DOCKER_HOST should not be set Your unique id is: EAE9CCAB-2142-4E3E-AAB1-B97FAA1DB920
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Be a happy user of “classic docker” installed via homebrew.
- Simplify cli usage by globally setting DOCKER_HOST on startup.
- Install docker for mac, see “Docker is running” in menubar droplet.
- Try to run
docker psjust like the whale asked me to.
- Find that
Kiteomatic (Beta)is also happy and capable of running containers.
- Search forum before filing bug. Try ‘factory reset’, reboot, other time consuming steps to no avail.
- Be very sad and frustrated my out-of-the-box experience is so bad, so go to file bug.
- Find solution in bug template. wat?