Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Cli not working on first install

beta
docker

(Halwine) #1

Expected behavior

After installation, docker ps should work. Especially when both menu bar applet & Kitematic are working fine.

Actual behavior

$ docker ps Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?

Information

The output of pinata diagnose correctly identifies the problem. (DOCKER_HOST was set globally on my machine for ease of use with ‘classic’ docker.)

However, I had no clue pinata existed until I started filing this ticket. It’s a great tool - I believe it should be promoted more visibly. It would have saved me an hour while I tried other things mentioned in the forum.

$ pinata diagnose -u OS X: version 10.11.5 (build: 15F34) Docker.app: version v1.11.1-beta13.1 Running diagnostic tests: [OK] Moby booted [OK] driver.amd64-linux [OK] vmnetd [OK] osxfs [OK] db [OK] slirp [OK] menubar [ERROR] environment the variable DOCKER_HOST should not be set [OK] Docker [OK] VT-x Docker logs are being collected into /tmp/20160603-163105.tar.gz Most specific failure is: the variable DOCKER_HOST should not be set Your unique id is: EAE9CCAB-2142-4E3E-AAB1-B97FAA1DB920

Steps to reproduce the behavior

1. Be a happy user of “classic docker” installed via homebrew.
  2. Simplify cli usage by globally setting DOCKER_HOST on startup.
  3. Install docker for mac, see “Docker is running” in menubar droplet.
  4. Try to run docker ps just like the whale asked me to.
  5. Find that Kiteomatic (Beta) is also happy and capable of running containers.
  6. Search forum before filing bug. Try ‘factory reset’, reboot, other time consuming steps to no avail.
  7. Be very sad and frustrated my out-of-the-box experience is so bad, so go to file bug.
  8. Find solution in bug template. wat?