Docker can't find image in "local"

Hello I’m new to docker and I have a strange issue.
I have an M1 mac pro (ARM) running on Monterrey 12.6.3 and latest version of Docker Desktop 4.17.0
I have run this command to pull a new image:

docker pull ghcr.io/aws-samples/grpc-examples/greeter_server:v0.1.0
v0.1.0: Pulling from aws-samples/grpc-examples/greeter_server
c0af9ae4a72c: Pull complete 
Digest: sha256:1238c498c8ab00d423dc610c7b1e2b305a24f7fb7a36863925db5edb362a255a
Status: Downloaded newer image for ghcr.io/aws-samples/grpc-examples/greeter_server:v0.1.0
ghcr.io/aws-samples/grpc-examples/greeter_server:v0.1.0

However when I try to run such image it fails:

docker run -d --name greeter_server greeter_server                 
Unable to find image 'greeter_server:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for greeter_server, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied.
See 'docker run --help'.

if I go inside the desktop application I can see the image being downloaded but If I explore the folder location where this should be (according to the UI config panel = /Users/$MYUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/vms/0/data) I don’t see any image at all.

What’s happening here?

Thanks for your help

The image you pulled is identified by a full repo name (including the registry fqdn) and a specific tag. You need to use the same when you want to create a container based on that image.

This should work (assumed the repo and tag are correct):
docker run -d --name greeter_server ghcr.io/aws-samples/grpc-examples/greeter_server:v0.1.0

Pulling images is optional: if an image does not exist in the local image cache, it will be pulled automaticly.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, your command worked!
However why I’m not able to “physically” see the downloaded image file? Do you know why this is happening? Where this image is stored after I have pulled it?

What do you mean by phisically? Since Docker Desktoop for Mac runs Docker inside a virtual machine, you won’t find Docker images on the macOS host and you don’t need to, since you can export images using docker save and import using docker load if you want to…

1 Like