Docker and bluestack should live together :smiley:

Actual behavior

You only can use one of them

Information

docker diagnostic ID : D76A3C1E-5831-4B3B-9748-A3C6007483BD
OSX 10.11.6

Steps to reproduce the behavior

1. Install Bluestack, don’t need to start it, just install
  2. Install Docker beta for Mac, then start it (don’t need to run any container)
  3. Start Bluestack, Bluestack will show error and cannot start
  4. Quit Docker, then start Bluestack, Bluestack can start successfully
  5. Stop Bluestack, then start docker -> MAC OS will crash and restart
1 Like

FWIW, I am now running both concurrently with no issues under this configuration:
macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)
Docker for Mac 17.12.0-ce-mac55 (23011)
BlueStacks 2.0.0 (10)

I have BlueStacks.app installed in MacOS High Sierra, but I haven’t used it in a long time. I think it does not use resources running in the background when I haven’t launched it, but I’m not certain of that.

Yesterday, I used

curl -sL https://ibm.biz/idt-installer | bash

to install a lot of software for this CognitiveClass.ai course (CO0201EN) in Kubernetes that I’m taking.

That bash script seems to have installed a lot of new software, including docker:

$ curl -sL https://ibm.biz/idt-installer | bash
[main] --==[ IBM Cloud Developer Tools for Linux/MacOS - Installer, v1.2.3 ]==--
[install] Starting Update...
[install] Note: You may be prompted for your 'sudo' password during install.
[install_darwin_deps] Checking for external dependency: brew
[install_darwin_deps] Installing/updating external dependency: git
[install_darwin_deps] Installing/updating external dependency: docker
Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 1 tap (homebrew/cask).
No changes to formulae.

==> Downloading https://download.docker.com/mac/stable/39773/Docker.dmg
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Verifying SHA-256 checksum for Cask 'docker'.
==> Installing Cask docker
==> Moving App 'Docker.app' to '/Applications/Docker.app'.
đŸș  docker was successfully installed!
[...the rest snipped for brevity...]

But running “docker” from the command-line in a Terminal.app fails with:

$ docker build --tag us.icr.io/<my_namespace>/hello-world .
-bash: docker: command not found

I launched a new Terminal and tried again with the same error result. When I look in /Applications, I see that Docker.app is installed there (Version 2.1.0.4, created October 21, 2019 at 5:06 AM). I suppose that must be the Docker Desktop app. So I guessed that maybe I needed to run it at least once before the docker command-line tools would become available. When tried to launch it, I saw another error message:

" BlueStacks Detected : BlueStacks will crash the operating system if Docker runs in the same macOS boot session after BlueStacks has run. We recommend uninstalling BlueStacks in order to use Docker Desktop." (bold emphasis not present in original, but it seems to imply that even if I last launched BlueStacks.app more than 6 months ago, it still represents an OS crash waiting to happen if I “Start [Docker.app] Anyway”)

I chose “Exit” there, rather than “Start Anyway”.

So in the output above, I see “docker was successfully installed!” as output from brew, and yet I’m unable to run docker at the command-line.

My experience is almost 4 years past the original post in this thread and almost 2 years past @patrickdrusk post indicating that he’s running both concurrently with no issues. I haven’t tried launching BlueStacks.app in more than 6 months, and I’ve only tried launching Docker.app in the last day, but the warning I see from attempting to launch Docker Version 2.1.0.4, created October 21, 2019 at 5:06 AM seems to indicate that these two apps still do not play nicely together on the same computer.

Can anyone comment on this from experience? If I don’t run BlueStacks.app simultaneously (just have it installed), is it safe to click “Start Anyway” when I see this ominous error from Docker.app? Or maybe I should just uninstall BlueStacks.app just to be on the safe side? It seems like a great tool though, and I may start using it again soon, so I’d rather not uninstall it if I don’t have to.

I have the two apps installed in my iMac with Mac OS High Sierra, the show me the warning, but worked fine the two apps

patrickdrusk
May be you don’t update the latest version of bluestack. I am also using this in my laptop and playing game with the help of bluestack.

[quote=“miaamelia, post:5, topic:19217”]
May be you don’t update the latest version of bluestack. I am also using this in my laptop and playing game with the help of bluestack.
[/quote]

is this right? or not?

is this still an issue with latest version of docker and bluestack?