Docker compose always appends to console output instead of updating it

Hello,

Recently I’ve noticed the output of docker-compose up -d became very hard to follow since it allways append to the console and generates enormous output log.

Is there something I could do with it?

Looks like it’s connected to the size of my terminal…
I have a big list of services so they can’t fit one screen

What is the version of Docker Compose? It looks like it is at least v2.0 but what version exactly?

If the problem is not Docker compose, sometimes it is the terminal which cannot support updating texts on the screen. It happens for example when I run docker pull in a CI/CD process and try to see the result from a web browser. If you can tell me the exact version, I try it. I have already sent a pull request to fix an issue in one of Docker Compose’s components, so I am willing to try it again if it is necessary :slight_smile: But let’s hope there is an other solution so you don’t need to wait for a new release.

So please, share the version of Docker Compose and also what terminal software you are using so I can try that too

@rimelek
I’m using:

• Docker version 20.10.13, build a224086
  • Docker Compose version v2.3.3

And for terminal I’m using vscode’s integrated terminal and zsh:

• VsCode Version: 1.65.2
  • zsh 5.8 (x86_64-apple-darwin21.0)

Thank you for looking in to it)

And I like to note one more time:
When the output of docker-compose fits my terminal window size then everything’s ok. E.g. when I have one-two images in my docker-compose.

But when my terminal has window height less than the output of docker-compose then I have a problem) And the project where I work has about 62 services and they can’t fit one screen

I tried it in VSCode and directly from a terminal. Here is my config if some want’s to try it assuming that the used images are not downloaded yet.

services:
  test2:
    image: httpd:2.4
  test-app:
    image: nginx
  php:
    image: php
docker compose up -d

Output (truncated due to huge length):

[+] Running 0/13
 ⠏ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                    2.9s
   ⠹ 2203022c5aa9 Downloading [========>                                          ]  4.975MB/30.06MB                                                                              1.2s
[+] Running 0/215 Waiting                                                                                                                                                         0.0s
 ⠋ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                    3.0s
   ⠙ b04185688a15 Waiting                                                                                                                                                         0.1s
[+] Running 0/216 Waiting                                                                                                                                                         0.1s
 ⠙ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                    3.1s

[truncated]

6.5s
[+] Running 13/21 Downloading     [==============================================>    ]  80.01MB/86.72MB                                                                         16.7s
 ⠧ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   19.7s
   ⠿ b04185688a15 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   6.5s
[+] Running 13/21 Downloading     [===============================================>   ]  81.63MB/86.72MB                                                                         16.8s
 ⠇ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   19.8s
   ⠿ b04185688a15 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   6.5s
[+] Running 13/21 Downloading     [===============================================>   ]  83.23MB/86.72MB                                                                         16.9s
 ⠏ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   19.9s
[+] Running 13/21 Downloading     [================================================>  ]  84.83MB/86.72MB                                                                         17.0s
 ⠋ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   20.0s
[+] Running 13/21 Downloading     [================================================>  ]  84.83MB/86.72MB                                                                         17.1s
 ⠙ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   20.1s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [>                                                  ]  557.1kB/86.72MB                                                                         17.2s
 ⠹ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   20.2s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [===>                                               ]  6.128MB/86.72MB                                                                         17.3s
 ⠸ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   20.3s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [===>                                               ]  6.128MB/86.72MB                                                                         17.4s

[truncated]

[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [==============================>                    ]  53.48MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.4s
 ⠼ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.4s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [==================================>                ]  59.05MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.5s
 ⠴ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.5s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [=====================================>             ]  65.18MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.6s
 ⠦ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.6s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [========================================>          ]  69.63MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.7s
 ⠧ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.7s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [========================================>          ]  69.63MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.8s
 ⠇ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.8s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [===========================================>       ]   75.2MB/86.72MB                                                                         18.9s
 ⠏ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   21.9s
[+] Running 13/21 Extracting      [==============================================>    ]  81.33MB/86.72MB                                                                         19.0s
 ⠋ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   22.0s
[+] Running 15/21 Extracting      [================================================>  ]  84.67MB/86.72MB                                                                         19.1s
 ⠙ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   22.1s
[+] Running 17/21 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  

[truncated]
                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
 ⠇ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   22.8s
[+] Running 17/21 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
 ⠏ php Pulling                                                                                                                                                                   22.9s
[+] Running 21/21 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
 ⠿ php Pulled                                                                                                                                                                    23.0s
   ⠿ facd7dc68db6 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
   ⠿ fab6336e386f Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
   ⠿ 756e205c0fcc Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.2s
   ⠿ 427ab5ee7f72 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  19.3s
   ⠿ f9ac2a5caafa Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  20.0s
   ⠿ 5b367c59e391 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  20.1s
   ⠿ 570f938f61c6 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                  20.1s
 ⠿ test-app Pulled                                                                                                                                                                9.4s
   ⠿ 48ac378ef115 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.6s
   ⠿ b14df6d58994 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.6s
   ⠿ 93fe00d45e28 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.7s
   ⠿ fc0b36f3f49a Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.7s
   ⠿ 4dd9061d5c10 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.7s
 ⠿ test2 Pulled                                                                                                                                                                   9.4s
   ⠿ 2203022c5aa9 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.0s
   ⠿ 30d2ed0dacd8 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.1s
   ⠿ 1cb4e9a1cd75 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.1s
   ⠿ 16018a091810 Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.7s
   ⠿ 259366445a4b Pull complete                                                                                                                                                   7.7s
[+] Running 4/4
 ⠿ Network dockertest_default       Created                                                                                                                                       0.0s
 ⠿ Container dockertest-php-1       Started                                                                                                                                       0.5s
 ⠿ Container dockertest-test2-1     Started                                                                                                                                       0.6s
 ⠿ Container dockertest-test-app-1  Started

Some of the lines are expected but the progressbars on so many lines are not. So yes, it is worth a bugreport on GitHub: Issues · docker/compose · GitHub

If you don’t send it, I will do that sometime. Even if I would have time to fix it, a pull request itself does not get enough attention apparently

Thank you for looking into this. I’ve submitted the issue