Docker failed to come up with latest version 17.06 on Centos box

I have followed in the instructions from the link( https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/linux/docker-ce/centos/#install-using-the-repository) to install docker 17.06 on Centos 7.3 box. But when I start docker it does not come up, here are further details,

docker version gives in this response:
Client:
Version: 17.06.0-ce
API version: 1.30
Go version: go1.8.3
Git commit: 02c1d87
Built: Fri Jun 23 21:20:36 2017
OS/Arch: linux/amd64
Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

See this message when ran jounralctl -xe on docker service restart

– Unit docker.service has begun starting up.
Jun 30 23:19:07 laxtest4-worker-1 docker[6791]: docker daemon is not supported on Linux. Please run dockerd directly
Jun 30 23:19:07 laxtest4-worker-1 systemd[1]: docker.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 30 23:19:07 laxtest4-worker-1 systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.

Is the documentation is missing in some steps?

library info running on the node:
rpm -qa | grep docker
docker-ce-17.06.0.ce-1.el7.centos.x86_64

rpm -qa | grep container
container-selinux-2.12-2.gite7096ce.el7.noarch

Note: All of the earlier version installations up until 17.05 didn’t cause in any problems so far. Seeing it with 17.06 only

I suspect you have a custom/override unit file for your docker service (i.e. /etc/systemd/system/docker.service.d/override.conf), like I did to set some custom storage driver settings, and it references the old docker daemon incantation (which apparently just got deprecated in 17.06.1) in its ExecStart line instead of the new dockerd incantation.

If that’s the case, simply replace docker daemon with dockerd, run systemctl daemon-reload to reload your unit files, then try to start docker again.

Some more details:

Thanks switching from docker daemon to dockerd worked.