I am planning to dockerize my application server, what is the best way to install the several components?
current environment: Linux host, Weblogic 11, Java 7, Oracle Client 10g(no database server), sshd etc
plan for building Docker Image :
- create base image from Centos
- start a container from step 1
- Install Weblogic 11 using rpm/yum
4.commit and save an image version
- start a container from step 4
- Install java 7 with rpm/yum
- commit and save an image version
. . and so on for other software required and create a final BASE image
is this the correct approach? In future if i need to update a specific software like upgrading to Java 8 (which is one of the middle layer of my BASE image) will i be able to just update the specific layer? or do i need to build the image allo over again?
or Are there any other great ideas for dockerizing the applications?