Docker swarm for iot device / robot deployment

Hi all,

I have been using docker mainly for CI and it has been working great so far. My CI is building docker images and I would like to deploy these images on multiple devices / robots (all exactly the same image).

Now I was looking into docker swarm and I manage to deploy the container to multiple worker nodes. Besides managing the running containers on the workers I want the containers also to start on startup. So I realized this with a startup job that simply starts a specific container. However, when I connect my device with the swarm manager again, this running container is not recognized in the swarm.

So I have some questions regarding the usage of the swarm functionality for IOT device deployment:

• Is the swarm functionality the way to go for my usecase or should I just remotely connect to the multiple external hosts? (I would like to be able to manage the running containers remotely and maybe use something like https://portainer.io/)

The difference between the “cluster use-case” and “IOT deploy use-case” is that most of the time the workers are not connected to the managers but we still want to fire up a container at startup.

I appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,

Rein