Error installing Docker on Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Hi,

I would like to use Docker on Windows Server 2016 Essentials. Further, I would prefer not to install Hyper-V containers.

When installing the Docker package I get an error message that the feature containers is missing:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Install-Package -Name docker -ProviderName DockerMsftProvider

The package(s) come(s) from a package source that is not marked as trusted.
Are you sure you want to install software from 'DockerDefault'?
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "N"): A
WARNING: A restart is required to start docker service. Please restart your machine.
WARNING: After the restart please start the docker service.
Install-Package : ArgumentNotValid: The role, role service, or feature name is not valid: 'containers'. The name was not found.
At line:1 char:1
+ Install-Package -Name docker -ProviderName DockerMsftProvider
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (containers:String) [Install-Package], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NameDoesNotExist,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCommand,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackage

The system also fails to start the Docker service at boot, showing this message in the Event Viewer:

Error starting daemon: Failed to load vmcompute.dll. Ensure that the Containers role is installed.

I cannot find any way to install or enable the Windows Server Containers, which seems to be a precondition.

Is it possible to use Docker on Windows Server 2016 Essentials without installing Hyper-V containers?

You can use install Features > Container. Just make sure you install the latest Windows Server 2016 Updates

funky81, thank you for the reply.

I have installed all available updates. But there is no Containers feature available in the Server Manager. Trying to install the feature in PowerShell also gives an error that it is missing.

Can you confirm that you have managed to install the container feature on Windows Server 2016 Essentials?

Which version of Windows Server that you installed? It should be inside Windows Server Features

The Windows edition is called: Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

It is running as a virtual machine on VMware ESXi 6.5.

Sorry just realize…it doesnt support Container
Please check comparison here between Windows Server Editions

OK, I’m sorry to hear that.
Do you have a link to the comparison you mentioned?
Thanks!

Similar question on https://github.com/moby/moby/issues/28327 not getting a definite answer.

Trying to enable the “containers” feature on Windows Server 2016 Essentials gives an error:

"Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName containers -All"
gives:
“Enble-WindowsOptoonalFeature : Feature name containers is unknown”

Has anyone gotten non Hyper-V containers to run on Windows Server 2016 Essentials?

Hi Team,

Good morning!!
Not able to install the docker on Windows Server 2016 Data Center.

1. Enabled Container successfully.
  2. Docker Service is started and running successfully.
  3. Run the command Install-PackageProvider ContainerImage Successfully
    But when I run the Find-ContainerImage, I don’t find any images related for WindowsServerCore.

Kindly can help how to install the docker on windows server 2016

Thanks & Regards
Siva Katuri

PS C:\Windows\system32> Find-ContainerImage
WARNING: Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘fastPackageReference’ because it is an empty string.
WARNING: The property ‘version’ cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists.
WARNING: The property ‘Name’ cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists.
WARNING: Cannot find path
‘C:\Users\spfarm\AppData\Local\ContainerImage\ContainerImageGallery_ContainerImageSearchIndex.txt’ because it does not
exist.
WARNING: Http.GetAsync did not return successful status code. Status Code: NotFound, The specified resource does not
exist.

I am getting when I am installing the docker in my Windows Server 2016 data center

Where did you get instructions to use “Find-ContainerImage”. You use docker CLI to work with docker

From Pluralsight videos (Author : Nigel Poulton).

I would assume it’s very old video and still relying on Powershell module which has been discontinued (unfortunately) in managing local docker installation. You have to do all operations now via docker CLI so all commands will be completely different.

Thanks for your information. Let me try and will email with more information on same

kindly can you please share the link for downloading and installation of DOCKER CLI

Thanks. docker run microsoft/dotnet-samples:dotnetapp-nanoserver-sac2016 :: In this command instead of nanoserver, I want to user windowsservercore. Kindly can you let me know the command to run

I have RUN the command successfully, but when run the command DOCKER IMAGES, I DONT SEE ANY IMAGES(NANSERVER/WINDOWSSERVER).I HOPE WE ARE MISSING SOMETHING

You have to pull the image first with docker pull command.

is this command for windows server 2016:
docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:1607.
or
docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/os/windowsservercore/insider:10.0.17763.1