Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Fork bomb stalls other Docker containers

Hello everyone, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not please redirect me!

Problem

I am currently running a Kubernetes cluster with JupyterHub, a service which allows multiple users to create notebooks. Each user who logs in gets a pod assigned to them with a Docker container, which is running Ubuntu along with other packages. (Here’s an example of a Dockerfile that we use.)

We tried running a fork bomb inside a Jupyter notebook (i.e. inside the Docker container). The container and other user containers on the same node stalled.

I would usually delete the Kubernetes pods to fix a problem like this. That course of action didn’t work and even the commands to delete/stop the Docker containers would stall.

Expected Solution

I expect that only the user container, not multiple user containers, to stall. Even then, I want to include restrictions to prevent that user container from stalling during a fork bomb.

If you’re interested, I have more information in this Github issue! Thank you!

I figured that I could set a limit on user processes in /etc/security/limits.conf permanently, but this doesn’t seem to apply if I can’t restart the OS. Is there a way to set user processes limits from a Dockerfile?