Help a newbie understand?

Hi everyone,

I’m very new to docker. I have been reading much about containerization and docker but I still have a hard time grasping everything. I feel lost so I though instead of reading more I ask my questions and see if I can make sense of it all.
So please be gentle… I swear I am not stupid, just asking stupid questions to understand better…

Anyways…
So here are my questions…

– How do I figure out what to containerize? Should the OS be a container? can it be?
– Is it common practice to containerize the webserver? each app? Should they be separate containers?
– Can all containers be deployed/loaded (whatever the word) at the same time?

And lastly… could you link me to some easy reads like ELI12 or something about the above questions?

Thank you

the link above describes pretty everything.
The OS cannot be a container.
Each of your Apps should be one container.
Webserver as container is common practice.
There are people who deploy php and the webserver into one container and some who separate it.

Thank you :slight_smile:

The link shared above is also one of the first things I would consider checking out.

There’s also a lot of good information in the docker documentation or even youtube for quick bites.

If you haven’t used containerisation/provisioning technology in the past ( a lot of us are coming from Ansible, Puppet, Chef, … ) then it might look daunting to begin with, just keep soldiering on.

Also remember that Docker allows for fast rebuilds of images, so just try stuff out and if it fails, docker rmi and rebuild :wink: