How `docker-compose up --scale` network work after running?

(Pardon me about describe question in this post, English not my native language)

As title,

| Scenario

A service will request to B service and tell which B service response from back to A, then A response all message to user who make the request)

When I use docker-compose up --scale B=5, “B” service will build 5 containers (B_1 to B_5) and wait for “A” service request. After that, I use wrk (HTTP benchmarking tool) request “A” for 1000 times and always got response from B_1.

And next try using postman and wrk, they all got response from B_2

• Network is default.
  • dig A will get five containers record
  • I found some information about DNSRR in docker docs

| Question

How docker network to decide that which “B” service container does request (Come from “A” service) go in default?

Please share your docker-compose.yml. It will help us to understand your situation.

Here is my docker-compose.yml

version: '2.1'

services:
  product:
    build: services/product
    mem_limit: 350m
    environment:
      - SPRING_PROFILES_ACTIVE=docker

recommendation:
    build: services/recommendation
    environment:

review:
    build: services/review
    environment:

product-composite:
    build: services/product-composite
    ports:
      - "8080:8080"
    environment:

and all services Dockerfile is

FROM openjdk:12.0.2

EXPOSE 8080

ADD ./build/libs/*.jar app.jar

ENTRYPOINT ["java","-jar","/app.jar"]

hmm, judging by your compose.yml your services have independed name and no shared hostname/network alias for the resulting containers. Even if you don’t declare a private network, the deployment will create a private network and join all services to this network.

Thus, a lookup for a servicename should respond with ip adresses for replicas of the service, but not any of the other services.

Based on this, I want to know if I use --scale product=3, it raise three product service, then DNS show me like this:

Imgur

Before my test, I know each product service will serve a period time and change to another service IP, how does it work? DNS Round Robin?

Change another service like this:

Request response from 172.24.0.6
...(after mins)
Request response from 172.24.0.7

Oh, I see. I completly missunderstood you. You question is regarding why DNS resolition sticks to a replica ip, before it moves to the next.

For Docker Swarm, you can set an endpoint mode for each service and define whether it should use a virtual ip (vip) that does the load balancing or returns a replica ip in dns round robin mode.

For Docker Compose, I have no idea about the implementation detail… sorry

It’s fine, I have no idea too.

There is noting about docker compose in docker website, I only found Docker Swarm detail like you said.

But thank you very much for your reply.