Is it possible to use bridge network with Docker in Rootless mode?

Hello Folks,

I am given to understand that docker bridge network can’t be used anymore when running Docker in rootless mode & i see some mention of this in a few old git discussions.

However when i go through the Docker docs for rootless or bridge-network i don’t see any mention of such a restriction.

I see from the rootless docs that one still can use the host-network mode with the below restriction,

Host network (docker run --net=host) is also namespaced inside RootlessKit.

and with the caveats mentioned in the “networking-errors” sub-section.

If one can still use the host-network as noted above how about the bridge-network?

Please bear with my ignorance, what i am not able to understand is if one can still use the host-network mode with those caveats noted above, why can’t one use bridge-network mode aswell? What is the underlying problem that prevents such a possibility? Or is it just a matter of current support not being there with caveats?

Can someone please help throw some light?

Thanks

The host network is just the lack of isolation. So it is not something added to the container but it is something simply not added to it which does not require elevated privileges. However manipulating network bridges on the host operating system does. Since rootless means Docker does not run as root anymore, you don’t have the right to create bridges.

I moved the topic from the Community category to DockerEngine. See the description of the previous category: