Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Is there a way to install docker command-line completion in a Docker for AWS CE deployment?

I’ve deployed the CloudFormation Docker for AWS CE stack, as per the instructions.

So far, though, I haven’t been able install Docker command-line completion on any node. Granted the OS in these is a special (apparently somewhat minified) OS, but it DOES have /bin/bash on it, so there should be a way to get autocomplete running, right?

You will find out eventually that it is better to open an SSH tunnel (as described in https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-aws/deploy/#connecting-via-ssh), so you can keep using your preferred local toolset without messing with the server.

If you really need a remote toolset (I do when all I have at hand is a tablet) try keeping it in a container too. You can always run a toolset container mounting the server’s docker socket.

Makes sense! I can relate to the tablet scenario.

Would the container way work within a swarm?

Surely, just make sure (1) this container mounts the docker socket (/var/run/docker.sock) and (2) this container runs on a master node (if you want to control the swarm).