Latest Docker Desktop for mac (Intel) crashes on startup with Nodejs exception

Finally, if your issue has not been addressed elsewhere, running:

• :whale: :arrow_right: Diagnose & Feedback… :arrow_right: Diagnose & Upload :arrow_right: Open Issues.

I can’t run diagnose and feedback because docker desktop is broken at the startup phase, seems like someone has released a version with a JavaScript exception resulting in failure to startup. Those pesky Javascript transpillers…

/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker\ Desktop
[bugsnag] Loaded!
[bugsnag] Error occurred in onError callback, continuing anyway…
[bugsnag] TypeError: Cannot set property maxHeaderSize of #<Object> which has only a getter
    at /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:14:18
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at rewriteObjectDeep (/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:6:25)
    at /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:9:17
    at rewriteObjectDeep (/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:6:25)
    at /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:9:17
(node:44171) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: connect ENOENT backend.native.sock
    at PipeConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (node:net:1146:16)
(Use `Docker Desktop --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:44171) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhand
led promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 2)
[bugsnag] TypeError: Cannot set property maxHeaderSize of #<Object> which has only a getter
    at /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/MacOS/Docker Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src_transpiled/service/rewriteObjectDeep.js:14:18
(node:44171) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED backend.sock
    at PipeConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (node:net:1146:16)
(node:44171) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhand
led promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 5)

Ah, seems like it was just taking a really long time to startup. Seems ok now. Still produces the Javascript exception when executed from the console.

How long did it take to startup for you? I’m getting the same error in the terminal, and I see Docker (Not Responding) in the Activity Monitor. It’s only using 9.4MB of memory, which seems too low. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, and even upgraded my OS, but no luck.

I had to track down the docker PID, kill it, delete /Application/docker desktop , download again and it “just started working” . Maybe someone pushed out a bad release?

1 Like

Hi, I had been been using docker successfully, just upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.3 (from an earlier Monterey) and now my docker has issues: When I click the icon the little dot underneath and the whale in the menu appear for a moment, then both are gone, GUI is not starting any more. Something still seems to run since I see the docker in the Activity Monitor. When I start the “Docker Desktop” app in the terminal I see the same error as above. I already removed the docker app, cleared the Library folder and reinstalled the latest version again - and that is the status!?

This helped me, thank you for sharing your post

It seems that something central went wrong (with my latest macOS update), since also other Apps showed issues. So I tried the following things, not sure which of them solved it:

• Safari clear all cashes (developer menu) and history.
  • Turn off the MacMini and remove the power cable for 30s.
  • Turn on by keep on pressing the ON Key until the login window.
  • Turn off and turn on by keep on pressing CMD+Opt+P+R.
    There was no real feedback on those actions but after logging in I saw that my Mac re-scanned Apps, asked for permissions etc. so obviously something was reset.
    After that the all Apps incl. Docker started to work just nicely again.