Meteor build errors

Expected behavior

Meteor to pickup file changes and automatically restart server after building.

Actual behavior

Meteor detects file changes but throws error during build process.

Information

• the error after changing a file:

/root/.meteor/packages/templating/.1.2.13.2shieh++os+web.browser+web.cordova/plugin.compileTemplatesBatch.os/npm/node_modules/meteor/promise/node_modules/meteor-promise/promise_server.js:165
        throw error;
         ^

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/app/.meteor/local/build/programs/web.browser/app/.builder-tmp-file.688075'
       at Error (native)

• running OSX 10.10.5

Steps to reproduce the behavior

1. Create basic meteor app using the steps outlined here https://www.meteor.com/tutorials/blaze/creating-an-app

2. Use the following docker file to mount the app’s folder to the /app directory

FROM node:latest
     RUN curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh
     RUN meteor update --release 1.4.0.1
     VOLUME /app
     WORKDIR /app
     EXPOSE 3000
     CMD [ "meteor" ]

3. Wait for meteor app to build and be accessible on port 3000

4. Modify a file and meteor will crash with the above error.

I’m not sure if this is a meteor related problem, or something to do with the way docker-for-mac is handling file syncing.

For anyone else having this problem, I figured out a workaround for the breaking meteor builds with osxfs. There is some issue with the .meteor/local/build folder syncing as whenever a file change was detected meteor would throw errors expecting files to be there that weren’t for some reason.

I simply created an empty volume on my docker compose file:

volumes:
  meteor_local:

And used that volume to mount the ./meteor/local folder to the container.

volumes:
  - ./web-app:/app
  - meteor_local:/app/.meteor/local/

I hope this helps anyone else hitting this roadblock.

@incisiv3 can you elaborate more about local dev of Meteor with docker-compose on osx ?

Thx !

Hi Ryan,

Beta 21.1 was recently released which fixed a number of issues with symptoms similar to those that you report. Could you please try Beta 21.1 (build 11019) and let us know if the original issue has been resolved?

Thanks!

David

Hi Ryan,

I haven’t tested your example because I couldn’t figure out how to create a basic meteor app but I believe that several similar issues were fixed in a recent Beta 21 hotfix (build 11019). If you could try it out and let us know if it resolves your issue, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

David

Hi David,

Sorry for not testing sooner, I didn’t get a notice about your reply!

That did indeed fix my issues, and Meteor builds are now operating smoothly and surprisingly faster :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for this,
-Ryan