Moving docker-compose.yml file to a different dir

hi,

Issue type: General
OS Version/build: Linux ubuntu 16.04
Steps to reproduce: create some containers with your own user and from your homedir using docker-compose, move the docker-compose.yml file to another dir and try to docker-compose down–>up the containers

I’ve used docker-compose on a test environment, had my fun with it and got some containers up and running (wordpress, nginx, mariadb, trac). I’ve installed docker and docker-compose and used it to deply the containers from my own homedir and user.

Now I want to start working correctly and not lose any data, that means I need to migrate the docker-compose.yml file to a different location (say, /opt/docker) and the owner of the file should be “docker” user.

How do I do that without losing data and configurations? I can live with some downtime on the containers but I have worked on them for quite some time (me and my team)

1 Like

Nobody has answered this question? I am facing this issue currently. I want to move a docker-compose.yml file to another directory. Since I still don’t really know best practices on where your compose files should actually go, I started with /etc/docker/compose-files//docker-compose.yml. I wanted to move this to another directory that is actually a soft link to a NAS so my configs can survive a failure. In addition, I wanted to eventually combine some compose files that are related and have them in their own service section within same yml file.

Just make sure you’re using the same project name before and after the move (either with the -p command-line option or the COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME variable).