I was doing some POCs on the new in built docker swarm feature. I was able to set up 6 nodes as follows:
1) docker init on node1
2) docker join on node 2 & 3 as manager
3) docker join on 4, 5 & 6 as workers.
All worked fine. But once started to automate got stuck with a couple of doubts which I am not able to find anywhere, if anyone can help me with this would be real greatful:
1) I get the join command from my manager (node1) during init, and I use it to join other workers and manager nodes. Say if the main manager (node1) gets killed then the join command I have is no more going to work. What should I do about this ??
2) Also since I am trying to automate this, is there an external discovery service I can use to update the worker nodes status so that any new nodes joining can refer that instead of me providing manually.
3) In Docker 1.12RC2, I saw something like auto allow workers/managers and predefined secret key for workers and managers to join, is that still available ? Docker site init doesnt show those arguments now.
Any help is much appreciated.