Nginx Docker for SSL Renewal

This may be more of an nginx question, but I think the problem is related to the docker setup. I’m trying to follow this guide:

I currently have a web server running Apache and serving data on port 80 in one container, inside of a Ubuntu host. I stopped that container and started this setup. I’ve only gotten to the point of getting the initial nginx server up and running. I can access it on my internal ip of the Ubuntu box and my external ipv4 address, but not on my fqdn. I know my fqdn resolves correctly because if I stop the nginx container and start my apache container, the site loads as I expect.

My apache container uses a bridged network, and this guide sets up its own network. Is that the issue? If so, I would expect my external ip not to work either. I installed ping on the docker image and have tested pinging my fqdn, it resolves as I would expect to the proper IP. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I should also add that my conf file looks like this:

server {
    listen 80;
    server_name "subdomain.fqdn.com";
    location ~ /.well-known/acme-challenge {
        allow all;
        root /usr/share/nginx/html;
    }

root /usr/share/nginx/html;
    index index.html;
}

I highly doubt your nginx.conf is the problem. Since you didn’t share your Dockerfile and entrypoint script, it is impossible to know what’s wrong. Though, why don’t you just use Docker Hub, back in the days it did a nice job for me. Though, these days I would not even bother with nginx as a containerized reverseproxy and go straight to traefik .