Old server getting started advice - which docker?

Docker for windows or Docker Toolbox?

Hi I am venturing into this world not really knowing much of anything, only armed with my determination.
I have a HP Storageworks aio600 that is based on a hp proliant ml350 v5. 64 bit.
Many have told me to trash it, and I certainly understand, but I would like to use it to gain knowledge for a later build project or purchase… And therefore press on.
I have tried many a operating system and found “Windows server 2008 R2” to be best for this thing. It has a raid card that won’t let me turn it off, and therefore unable to get Ubuntu to work, and this is the only version that will allow hyper v to work. And I have that all working.

I will need a GUI until I get a feel and start understanding command line.

Which is correct for this application to try docker?
Docker for windows or Docker Toolbox?
I can always just try both to see what works, but I think I have had enough OS’s and bios update trys that I’d just like to do this right, the first time.

My goal is storage, a minecraft server, and a website. Storage is the only real need, the others are just “to see if I can” I will take any advice in addition to my main question. Thank you.

Ok.
Since I didn’t get a response. I tried desktop installer and it says I need. NET framework of v4. X. X so on to toolbox.

I would just create a large Linux vm to act as the docker host, and skip docker for windows.
But you may need the tool box to help you route traffic from windows to VM to container?
ALso you should be able to get the .NET files by downloading visual studio or just search for .NET v4 for windows server 2008 R2.
Sounds like a treasure hunt,
Good luck.

1 Like

Good thoughts. I think a switch will get traffic there.
Maybe I won’t need the. NET files on the Linux VM?

I think you may need .NET files IFF toolbox is required.
Looks like toolbox does host a small linux vm, but also supplies windows with CLI…

I still believe the path is; Linux VM and run all docker through there without trying to talk to Windows to the toolbox…

Nah, the OP just didn’t invest much time on gathering details about the individual options.

is answered by this choice of the os:

Since Docker Desktop for Windows is for Win10 only, you can safely remove it from the equasion.
Even if your install the .NET framework, you will not get past the installer.

Docker Toolbox is legacy and requires virtualbox on Windows… which is not going to work if Hyper-V is installed.

Seems like your best bet is to install a debian or ubuntu VM in a standalone Hyper-V VM. Since ui integration in Hyper-V is terribly slow for Linux guests, you should consider to install the OS without a UI. You will want to use putty to control the vm via commandline.

Once your vm is installed, install the docker engine. if you realy feel the urge to have a ui to control docker, try portainer. You can directly run it on the docker engine in the vm. Though, honestly the commands required to get docker containers up and running are not that complicated or hard to learn.

Once you installed docker. You might want to look at this excelent self paced docker training and learn about how to tame docker :wink:

Good luck!

1 Like

Just mentioning
Type in “docker” into Google, it jumps straight into "download and you pick OS.

Doesn’t tell you much. Yeah, I have been digging for info forever and was trying to fight off more digging.

My issue is that there isn’t an way to turn off the raid controller. Well, I’ll refrase, I think I would have to revert back to an earlier bios to turn it off, and have not chosen to fight that battle.

I am just fighting battles all around. Which is why people advised me not to mess with this old thing.

Current Ubuntu doesn’t like the raid controller, nor does Debian. I guess I could fight that battle.

What OS would you recommend that is user friendly that likes a proliant e200i controller?

I am happy to learn without a UI, I was just trying to only fight one battle at a time. Windows seemed “easy” to then learn docker.

Thoughts?

I already made my suggestion in my previous post. I guess you search for something else.

Good luck on your journey!

1 Like

I have reread it now. I thought you were saying to use the Linux as the host os, sorry.
Thank you again for your time.
Your suggestion is to run the windows 2008 r2
A VM of a non ui Linux
And docker, non ui, in that VM on top of Linux, as well.

Given your circumstances, this seems like a feasable solution to me.

Though, personaly I would use esxi instead of Windows 2008, as I dislike Hyper-V.

1 Like

I mentioned having battles, I am actually battling the key code for windows server. It doesn’t want to “take” I just battled installing 2003, as that is what it actually for, and still it didn’t take. (with intention to upgrade back to 2008 r2) next step is Microsoft on that, I guess.

My research indicates the computer could run VMware exsi 5.0. But i hadn’t figured out if that was free. Have considered trying that. I’m just trying to find a working solution and really have not yet, for anything.

I stumble across http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man4/cciss.4.html for bionic. Did you try to install Ubuntu 18.04?

I tried to install Ubuntu and it wouldn’t load. Missing a file of some sort. My googling lead me to this exact page which confirmed why. I was a bit overwhelmed and aborted the mission.

I do appreciate your continued assistance, thank you so much.

As I mentioned, this was a battle I fought. I guess it’s a matter of what battle I should keep fighting. I was hoping to find a solution with less of a battle. Lol have not found one yet. Lol

I have taken so much of your time, thanks again, I’ll only request a one word answer.

Which battle should I fight:
-BIOS to try and figure out how to turn this raid controller, Aparently there is an optional controller only able to be enabled in earlier bios versions. I can see it, it just won’t let me enable it as the primary. Then I could do freeNas or anything open source.
-windows 2008 r2 - I have a key code, just need to get with windows to get it working
-Ubuntu. try and sort through the link you sent, as I don’t understand it immediately to install that older driver
-VMware. I downloaded it, but I have to find the appropriate HPE software to jump it to load. Like the “start smart” or something. I have found documentation that 5.0 works. Or maybe an HPE copy. It’s Entitled on HPE. Com

I was just trying to find something easy, as a base, to try docker. Perhaps command line.

I think that’s where I am at on all those efforts, nothing else comes to mind. What is ultimately the best solution? I would think Ubuntu because it’s Linux?

Well, running old enterprise hardware with modern operating systems can be frustrating. The vendor has no benefit in migrating drivers to new OS versions. If the community is not pickung up the support then the lack of drivers will lead to a EOL of the hardware. Even in homelabs noone wants to stick to a lagacy OS forever…

Depening how powerfull the machine is and the driver support, either an esxi installation with a Ubuntu VM or bare metal Ubuntu would be appropriate.

Honestly I would throw the box away and replace it with something like this.

1 Like

Ha ha back to the “throw it away” lol. With all of the pain this thing has brought me, I wish I would listen!

I just can’t thank you enough for talking to me, I appreciate your help.

I’ll sidetrack from probably what a docker forum conversation should be, but then bring it back. I don’t know what I really need or want to do. I just don’t know enough. I liked the look of docker and wanted to try it.
Option 1. I have 2 dual core computers that absolutely work sitting there. One has the word “gateway” on it, and ddr2 ram, but honestly it works great for basic surfing or whatever. The HP dual core is a little better, I think ddr3. Both running windows 10.
Option 2. This proliant ml350 v5. I did some benchmarks and it has 2 dual core cpus that douple the performance of the quad core.
Option 3. I bought the kids (and replaced the quads) with optiplex 7020. You can get an i3 for just over $100. Or i5 for 130.
Option 4. Minis I read the whole article and watched the video, neat idea, but I wouldn’t know which to buy and it’s 2x as much as a 7020, is it better? (am I missing something here)

I don’t care about power, as I can turn it off. I was just trying to get something running, to see where I wanted to go :frowning:

I don’t know how to run a cluster or nodes, or kuberneties is :pensive: The whole point was to figure it out.

I guess I know this server CAN be better than the quad cores. For my learning, should I just put docker on the quad core and end my pain and suffering with this server?

I thinking I’ll take your advice and go back to Ubuntu and give that my next efforts. Thanks again so much!