Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Paging file too small for this operation

I have windows container running on windows 10 host machine, and every now and then, I get this error when I try to launch interactive mode

The shell cannot be started. A failure occurred during initialization:
Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Data, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’ or one of its dependencies. The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800705AF)

I checked swap file size and it is limited to 1023MB. I’m not sure how to go about increasing swap file limit. Does anyone have similar issue and resolved it?

In general, you go to Control Panel | System and Security | System, select Advanced system settings, click on the Advanced Tab, and then click on the Change… button for Virtual Memory. Once there, you can deselect Automatically manage paging file size and manually specify parameters for the paging file. Note that it can be spread across multiple disks, but you are eventually limited by available disk space.

Thanks for your input. But your approach would only work with full-blown WIndows. But mine is just an image created out of IIS image. I have no access to UI. That said, interim solution i uses is, using memory property with higher memory allocation and run docker-compose in compatibility mode.