Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Run node locked software in a docker container

(Xor76) #1

Hi all,
I am trying to run IBM Rational AppScan within a Docker container.
Although I managed to install the product successfully I am having some trouble with a feature of the product that require to install a node locked license into the container.
In order to complete this action I need to retrieve and hostid that seems to be a combination of hostname and mac address.
I am currently running docker 1.1.2 and although I can force an hostname there seems to be no options to lock on a specific mac address. There is a way around to this in 1.1.2 or do I have to upgrade to 1.2.0.
The tool that I am using to retrieve the hostid is called lmutil and it is made available by http://www.flexerasoftware.com

Thanks in advance for your time

(Sven Dowideit) #2

Assuming that its node locked to your workstation, I think you’d be best off running the container with --net host - that way both the hostname, and the mac addresses will be correct.

yes, I would suggest upgrading to 1.3.3 or 1.4.1 - there are a number of important security fixes.

(Xor76) #3

Sven,
thanks for your answer. I can confirm that your suggestion works even though it introduces a strong limitation.

(Sven Dowideit) #4

isn’t that the point of the node-locked licenses?